Gransnet forums

Gardening

Lemon Tree

(12 Posts)
sprite66 Fri 19-Aug-16 13:45:26

I was given a beautiful lemon tree at Christmas and am trying to keep it looking at its best.
I've recently re-potted it following Monty Don's instructions on Gardeners World. All seemed well initially but some of the leaves now appear slightly yellowish. I'm dosing it with Epsom Salts hoping this is the right treatment.

It is growing well, has a second flush of flowers and several lemons forming.

At the moment this tree is causing more anxiety than looking after our grandchildren!

whitewave Fri 19-Aug-16 14:25:22

I've never been successful with citrus trees -largely through neglect!

Jayh Fri 19-Aug-16 14:31:56

I have a tiny lemon plant which has lots of flowers and a minuscule lemon. I keep it in the greenhouse and feed it on citrus feed I bought at the garden centre. I would love to be able to call it a tree.
Are new leaves forming to replace the yellowing ones? If so, your tree will probably be ok. ?

Galen Fri 19-Aug-16 14:36:40

I've a dozen lemons and limes. They thrive out on my patio in summer and inside in winter. They do need regular citrus feed and sunshine.

Galen Fri 19-Aug-16 14:38:53

Yellowing can be due to overwatering as well as lack of feed.

Nelliemoser Fri 19-Aug-16 15:28:27

Galen that is probably because you are near the seaside. Usually less frosts. A friends neighbour tried to grow a Bougainvillia in Cheshire. It did not last long.

Galen Fri 19-Aug-16 15:37:55

Still get frosts. Most citrus will be ok down to -5c°
They get frosts in italy

Liaise Mon 19-Sep-16 19:35:20

I have citrus trees. They usually leaf up again after losing leaves.. My problem is when I bring them in for the winter they get covered in a sticky coating which gets on the floor. If anyone has a remedy for this problem I would be grateful.

Thebeeb Mon 19-Sep-16 20:21:23

Yes I have same problem with the sticky coating. Otherwise no problems.

NfkDumpling Mon 19-Sep-16 21:32:38

My husband bought a lemon tree of unknown name (I call it Larry) at an auction about seven or eight years ago and I've only replanted it once into a bigger pot. It usually stays in the conservatory all winter and moves outside in summer but this year we decided to leave it inside. (Laziness!). Hopefully this won't lead to getting bugs. We're in a cold spot and it wouldn't last a winter outside here.

Being inside I take a small paint brush to tickle the flowers to cross pollinate as advised by our local NT gardener. He also told me to feed weekly with liquid sea weed fertiliser to keep the leaves green and this works. I water fairly sparingly, and top up with fresh compost each spring and prune it to shape quite hard as it grows vigorously. There's no stickiness from the leaves so perhaps it's the variety? I get a dozen or so lovely luscious pipless lemons throughout each year which are nearly sweet enough to eat.

I'd like an orange tree but don't have room. Is there a hardy one?!

Rosieroe Tue 20-Sep-16 10:26:23

My friend in NZ tells me that she has lemons laying all over the garden from the lemon trees at the house they recently moved to. She hasn't used them so far so I've sent her Mary Berry's drizzle cake recipe for start off.. And think of the g&ts!

Synonymous Sat 31-Dec-16 22:31:31

Liaise The sticky floor under the lemon is caused by scale insects. We used the ultimate bug killer but any equivalent make would do. smile