Gransnet forums

Gardening

Digger Wasps

(10 Posts)
M0nica Wed 21-Sep-16 14:31:50

Have you heard of them? I hadn't until about half an hour ago.

I cut the grass on Sunday, just (relatively) smooth grass, not even ants nests. Today I walked outside and on a patch of grass about 20 foot square there were about 50 little holes in the ground, a bit like minuscule volcanoes and innumerable wasps flying low above them and going in and out of them. Mrs Google (why shouldn't google be a lady) informs me that these are Digger wasps and there are about 110 species of them in the UK.

I am really not remotely interested in finding out which of the 110 species I have in my lawn. I just want to know how to get rid of them. On this subject Mr Google is worse than useless.

Anybody else been invaded by digger wasps, and how did you get rid of them?

whitewave Wed 21-Sep-16 16:30:13

Shouldn't worry too much they help air -ate your lawn I would have thought and the cold weather will see them disappear. Enjoy nature!!!! (smile)

M0nica Wed 21-Sep-16 17:12:39

The problem is, we cannot enjoy nature! They are in the grass very close to the house and right beside our sitting out area and straying towards the house, so windows and doors are shut to keep them out. Had they been further up the garden or in the area of wild grass I keep uncultivated to encourage wildlife, all would have been well.

From what I have read they burrow deep so that the eggs they lay inside are protected from the winter weather so we will have them again next year.

Rosieroe Wed 21-Sep-16 17:39:46

I found this m.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Ground-Digger-Wasps-(Cicada-Killers)-from-Your-Lawn

I remember seeing these when we were on holidayin in France - horrible things paralysed other insects and dragged them underground. I know it's nature and survival and so on, but it's horrible.

M0nica Wed 21-Sep-16 19:19:06

Rosieroe, Thank you for that. I have read it and thankfully the wasps in or garden are a lot smaller, about normal wasp size but with bigger wings and squarer, but they are gradually taking over more of the garden

The amazing thing is how they can have gone from nothing to now upwards of 100 nests in three days. They seem very rare in this country. The other thing puzzling me is, that all the online sources (and they are very few) say these wasps prefer bare earth and preferably sandy soils. In our case we are talking about a colony in a lawn in a clay vale, the exact opposite to what they are meant to prefer.

whitewave Wed 21-Sep-16 19:22:51

You get loads of them in the New Forest, -sandy soil and I see them out walking the dog on the South Downs -chalky soil.

GillT57 Wed 21-Sep-16 19:32:51

My dog was stung when she accidentally disturbed a nest of them.

Maranta Wed 21-Sep-16 19:55:29

The Buglife website says that they do not use their sting as a defence mechanism, only to paralyse their prey. So nothing to worry about there. I remember having them in my garden down south and they were never a problem.

FionaR Fri 27-Sep-19 18:18:22

I've got the same problem in my lawn - suddenly hundreds of holes at this time of year. Did you find anything that got rid of them?

Willow500 Sat 28-Sep-19 07:22:53

Terrifying - I hate wasps. We went to a funeral a couple of weeks ago and all round the flower beds of the church there were hundreds of wasps flying in and out of the ground - they must have been the same species. Maybe consult an extermination company for advice or perhaps the council could advise - they sent someone round to deal with a bees nest in our garden years ago.