Gransnet forums

Gardening

Falling leaves

(5 Posts)
BlueBelle Wed 26-Oct-16 08:58:30

I have a wonderful Virginia creeper that every year goes from green to yellow to orange to deep red before dropping its leave this year it's gone from green to yellow then dropped the leave Do you think it's because the summer was so late and the cold weather descended a bit quickly although it's still not terribly winter like yet
I missed the lovely red leaves

Maranta Wed 26-Oct-16 09:28:28

My Boston Ivy, (same genus) has performed differently this year. Some leaves went a mottled yellow very early on and all fell off. The few remaining have now gone mahogany. Also it didn't grow as well this year. I normally have to cut it back in order to get into the garage! I do hope it's not on it's way out as the garage underneath is not very pretty.

J52 Wed 26-Oct-16 09:35:38

I have noticed this with my neighbours Virginia creeper, it's very dull with the leaves falling. I think it could be the lack of any cold weather and early frost.
My Sambucus has just lost all its leaves in one go.

DH who is into Max and Min thermometers and observing the temperature, said last nights min was 6 degrees and it was 9 degrees at half past 6, this morning.
In the E. Midlands.

granjura Wed 26-Oct-16 09:51:16

Same here with our trees- this year it all happened very quickly- only had lovely colours for a few days, and then sharp frost one night and all down in one go. Pouring with rain now - and I keep asking myself..

now what on earth would happen if we didn't pick them all, and just let nature take its course - would the sky really fall on our head? I'd rather do that then replace them with plastic trees, honest.

Nelliemoser Thu 27-Oct-16 09:08:12

I planted a virginia creeper years ago which was overshadowed by the neighbours overhanging. This was cleared early last year and I raised three plants of it from the small root cuttings. These should be clones.

They were all in pots for a year to get them properly rooted and now they all look different with their leaf colours. The one which was left in pot for the longest time has the best colour. If they grow well I may need to remove one or two.