Gransnet forums

Gardening

Just cut the grass again!

(22 Posts)
TriciaF Mon 31-Oct-16 17:28:33

The weather here (SW France) has been so mild, that the grass is still growing. I hope I won't need to do it again.
What are you doing in your garden now?
We're digging up the last of our potatoes, and tomorrow hope to start clearing the weeds in the veg. patch for some autumn planting. The fennel I planted a month ago is doing well.
Not so good with flowers and shrubs, they all need either uprooting or cutting back.
What gardening are you doing in the UK?

tanith Mon 31-Oct-16 17:31:45

My grass will also need another cut. I have plenty of carrots still growing nicely

gillybob Mon 31-Oct-16 17:33:37

We cut our grass again last weekend and we are in the NE of England! Weather very mild again today and roses still very much in bloom.

whitewave Mon 31-Oct-16 17:44:59

The chap putting in the kitchen said the long range weather forecast says a lot of snow this winter. Anyone else heard that?

Alima Mon 31-Oct-16 17:51:40

The grass is still growing and will need cutting again. Stranger still the begonias are still in flower though past their best. I read a piece in the paper saying it would be a cold winter and not as wet as last year which was terrible for so many people affected by the floods.

whitewave Mon 31-Oct-16 17:53:51

Yes I heard on radio cold but dry winter. Can live with that!!

BBbevan Mon 31-Oct-16 18:18:23

We have a sunflower growing in our veg patch. It is about 4ft tall now. Also nasturtiums and two lettuces.

nanaK54 Mon 31-Oct-16 19:08:04

I have been grass cutting today SE England- what a beautiful day, incredibly warm.
I seem to remember that I was still cutting well into November last year too.

Funnygran Mon 31-Oct-16 19:21:41

Had my morning coffee in the garden here in South Yorkshire. We are still cutting the grass although it's more to pick up the leaves as well. Don't mind a cold winter but I'm not a fan of snow and ice. ,

Morgana Mon 31-Oct-16 19:34:55

Still having to water some things. Not much rain for weeks!

Tizliz Mon 31-Oct-16 22:00:24

Picking up leaves ????

Charleygirl Mon 31-Oct-16 22:03:56

Yes whitewave I also heard it will be a cold winter with snow. We will see, they hardly get it correct from day to day, never mind a long range forecast.

cornergran Mon 31-Oct-16 23:04:37

Cold is fine, snow less so! Our rhododendron is in full,bloom, it's as confused as I am. Grass needs a cut, although the gardeners seem of a different mind, roses out, just pulled out some bedding plants in full bloom, seemed a shame but needed to tidy. I never believe a weather forecast smile.

Synonymous Tue 01-Nov-16 01:40:09

Yes, I heard that weather forecast but DH just says it is more reliable to just look out of the window! grin We shall see.

Our roses are still flowering their hearts out, the flocks are lovely and the grass looks as if it needs another cut.

granjura Tue 01-Nov-16 08:44:10

I live up in the Jura mountains at nearly 1000m- and it has been so mild too. DH will be out cutting the grass this afternoon, again, hoping to pick up as many leaves as poss in the process- and I'll finish cutting off the perrenials - perhaps leaving the sedums a bit longer still.

shysal Tue 01-Nov-16 09:20:18

My grass will need another cut but prefer to do it when dry. However, the dew seems to last all day! Pelargoniums are all flowering again so will stay until the first frost, which is forecast to be tomorrow in Oxfordshire.

thatbags Tue 01-Nov-16 09:23:44

We have a lot of grass needing cut but it's too wet and will be probably until April.

Im68Now Tue 01-Nov-16 09:30:32

When I'm on my boat (can't spell yatch) I sometimes look at the sea and think that's a funny shade OF blue, any one else think that.

TriciaF Tue 01-Nov-16 09:36:03

So the conditions aren't much different up your way? I didn't realise. We have so much grass, it's not really lawn-type grass, as the land is a reclaimed field for crops.
I've been out clearing weeds for a short time - I use a 'hacker' which is a sort of large, sturdy hoe on a short handle
www.outils-et-nature.fr/binette/272-binette-forgee-3157882114008.html
Then rake up the weeds.

granjura Tue 01-Nov-16 10:08:13

Strangely enough, at this time of year, temps up here at 1000m above the 'mer de brouillard' or 'sea of fog' above the lakes of Geneva and Neuchâtel- it is much warmer up than below (Lake Neuchâtel is at about 530m). Autumns are truly glorious up on the tops of the Jura mountains- on both sides of border ;)

Withoped Fri 04-Nov-16 09:02:54

Hi there, mine too.

tanith Wed 16-Nov-16 14:24:26

Just had to cut mine yet again, its a sunny breezy day but still had to wait till afternoon before it was dry enough. I hope thats the last one .