Gransnet forums

Gardening

Leaves on flower beds

(9 Posts)
Luckygirl Sat 16-Sep-17 12:51:15

We are soon to be awash in leaves and I noticed that the flower beds that were in the direct line of fire and got coated in leaves have many fewer weeds than the other beds. I am slightly tempted to chuck some of our leaves directly on the other beds to give them a warm winter blanket rather than bagging and mulching them. Any thoughts?

lemongrove Sat 16-Sep-17 12:55:12

Yes, why not? They will rot down and improve the soil.

lemongrove Sat 16-Sep-17 12:55:32

Get them off the lawn though.

Nonnie Sat 16-Sep-17 12:56:37

Vaguely remember GQT saying leave the leaves where they lie but can't remember why.

J52 Sat 16-Sep-17 13:04:32

On the flower beds the worms will soon eat them and turn them into worm casts. Rake them off the lawn because you don't want worn casts over the lawn.

merlotgran Sat 16-Sep-17 13:11:48

We leave the leaves on the borders then clean it all up in the spring when the new growth needs light and space.

We chuck the ones that we rake off the lawn on the compost heap. I really can't be bothered to make leaf mould.

Luckygirl Sat 16-Sep-17 13:18:55

Thanks for the ideas. We have a leave blower/sucker now so we will be able to get them off the lawn.

Luckygirl Sat 16-Sep-17 13:19:42

- or even a leaf blower -

merlotgran Sat 16-Sep-17 13:22:12

I use a leaf blower on the lawn and paths. Anything that is sucked up is chopped into tiny bits so not worth making a leaf mould bin because it would take forever to fill so it all goes on the compost heap which ends up back on the borders as mulch.

Sorted......grin