Gransnet forums

Gardening

Windowsill herbs

(12 Posts)
Nansypansy Fri 20-Apr-18 14:40:08

Just wondering ...... once you’ve used some supermarket growing herbs ..... can they be planted in the garden?

Salmo Fri 20-Apr-18 14:54:18

I've done it with parsley, and it did quite well. I divided what was in the pot into several smaller pieces

Pittcity Fri 20-Apr-18 15:01:59

Yes. I have parsley, mint and coriander bought that way thriving in my garden. No luck keeping basil alive though.
I buy the living lettuce in the Summer which does well outside too.

1974cookie Fri 20-Apr-18 18:08:24

Basil is an absolutely brilliant supermarket herb to buy in a pot for propagation, and so very easy !
Pick off a few stems, about 3 inches in length. Pinch out the tiny leaves at the top. Remove the lower leaves and put them in a pot with water on the windowsill.
They will root in no time, and then you can put them in pots of compost where they will grow into lovely bushy plants.
You can repeat this process with your new plants ad infinitum. The only time that I have failed was during the winter months when the windowsill was too cold, otherwise, a foolproof method. I hope that this helps.

Pittcity Fri 20-Apr-18 18:50:31

Thank you for the tips 1974cookie. It was probably the cold that killed mine.....I kept coriander alive outdoors this winter though!

Auntieflo Thu 26-Apr-18 09:26:38

Pittcity, did you give your coriander any special treatment? Soil, deep bed or shallow container, sun, etc. Yesterday I bought a pot of coriander and shall only use a little, and it seems to have several little individual plants. I would so love it to thrive.

Fennel Thu 26-Apr-18 11:25:04

Basil is my favourite too, I hope to start growing some soon.
I've also grown rosemary and thyme. They both like hot dry climate, though I think some kinds of thyme grow in cooler places.
Nansypansy - ask at your nearest garden centre.

Pittcity Thu 26-Apr-18 14:41:57

I just dug the coriander into my veg patch *auntieflo". It gets sun and rain but no special treatment. It usually bolts and runs to seed or just withers. The weather must have suited it this year.

BlueBelle Thu 26-Apr-18 16:12:15

Pittcity whenever I ve planted shop bought coriander it’s just bolted like yours usually does I ve never had any luck

Jalima1108 Thu 26-Apr-18 16:15:50

I decided to grow my herbs in pots instead of directly in the ground but they don't do as well - apart from the mint. I mixed the soil with some grit and horticultural sand for the Mediterranean plants and richer soil for basil etc but none seem to thrive.

The thyme which is in the rockery, on the other hand, thrives very well.
hmm

grannyticktock Sat 19-May-18 22:11:10

I buy a small pot of basil from a supermarket, and immediately pot it on into a pot twice the size, with extra compost, teasing apart the plants to spread them out. In no time at all it's filled the pot and lasts for weeks or months

Auntieflo Mon 21-May-18 08:15:12

Well, I planted a pot of coriander in the garden a few days ago. so far, so good, I had a couple of snips at it, then when I looked at it again, the slugs had eaten it down to the soil. B****r.