Gransnet forums

Gardening

Peat Free compost with legionella warning

(9 Posts)
Jalima1108 Thu 03-May-18 20:52:43

The causes of leukaemia can be genetic, radiation, some chemicals or a certain type of virus (HTLV).

I have never heard of it being caused by compost, so I don't think there is a need to worry about the compost unless you have a compromised immune system - if you have a worry about Legionella then wear a face mask as advised.

Jalima1108 Thu 03-May-18 20:47:37

Sepsis is another consideration when handling soil if the immune system is low.

Jalima1108 Thu 03-May-18 20:46:17

I wonder if he had it anyway, undiagnosed, and the legionella hastened his death?
It is not something I have ever heard of as a cause.

Situpstraight Thu 03-May-18 18:09:50

After contracting Legionella the gentleman who died went on to die of Leukaemia. They are linking the cause of death to the compost.
BTW this was in 2013 so the warnings on compost have been around for a while, just not noticed, so they need to be larger.

Nelliemoser Thu 03-May-18 16:47:58

It seems tht most brands appear to be vulnerable to this possibility.

www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=541

Jalima1108 Thu 03-May-18 16:08:36

^ some (abroad) have contracted leukaemia. ^
Are you sure? Did you mean legionella, or is it that people with leukaemia and therefore comprised immune systems became ill after handling compost?

Situpstraight Thu 03-May-18 15:44:47

It’s all to do with Peat Free compost apparently, they mix sawdust and other ingredients in with soil and that’s possibly where the problem lies.
However, I think that all compost that is Peat Free will have to carry the warnings soon as 2 people have died and some (abroad) have contracted leukaemia.
I’ll need to get my mask out.

Panache Thu 03-May-18 15:36:07

Makes you think whatever next.............indeed at least the old brands are tried and tested ....so good luck!

Nandalot Thu 03-May-18 15:23:16

We bought a very reasonably priced compost from a well known discount store. Just about to plant up some containers when DH noticed a legionella warning. I kid you not. The elderly and infirm were advised to wear face masks and to avoid inhaling the dust etc.
Back to our usual brand.