Gransnet forums

Gardening

Beth Chatto

(11 Posts)
Nelliemoser Mon 04-Jun-18 22:25:51

She was an inspiration for so many. She was interviewed recently on some programs she was looking very frail which is not surprising when she was in her late 90s

Telly Wed 16-May-18 19:04:29

Sad to hear of her death today. Go to her garden on a regular basis and hope it continues to be open to the public along with the nursery.

farview Wed 16-May-18 18:53:42

CHATTO .. blasted phone!!!

farview Wed 16-May-18 18:53:12

RIP Beth Chatting,loved your gardening style,lovely lady ?????

Teetime Wed 16-May-18 09:20:42

I used to love going to Beth Chatto's garden when I lived nearby - lots of happy memories there. RIP Beth Chatto.

janeainsworth Tue 15-May-18 23:58:05

That is sad news. I visited her garden many years ago & was enchanted. What a wonderful legacy though.

grannyqueenie Tue 15-May-18 22:40:22

I hadn’t heard that news. I only visited the garden once, years ago when on holiday in the area, but I remember it still and enjoyed it greatly.

silverdarlings Tue 15-May-18 21:42:47

I really liked Beth Chattos way, a very interesting lady. She was lovely with Carol K. during their interview.

seacliff Tue 15-May-18 19:58:59

Yes me too. I often used to go to her little nursery - Nursery for Unusual Plants. - in the 70s when I was first starting to garden. I loved geraniums, and she always had so many different types that you couldn't get elsewhere. It was good to see them growing in her garden. She was a very kind modest lady, often to be found on her knees weeding.

The garden seems to be in safe hands so it can continue to be enjoyed by everyone.

Niobe Tue 15-May-18 19:58:39

Her interview by Carol Klien on Gardener's World last season was such a delight. RIP Beth.

merlotgran Tue 15-May-18 19:40:05

I know 94 is a great age to reach but I felt really sad when I heard Beth Chatto has died. sad Such an inspiration to those of us with dry gardens. Her wonderful books mean her knowledge and experience will live on.