Gransnet forums

Gardening

peonies

(10 Posts)
Fennel Sun 29-Jul-18 16:14:10

We've started to tame our new small 3 by3m garden. Everything is overgrown, wish I could post a picture, but it's not very pretty, apart from some unexpected roses. There were over 30 pots with various dead plants which have gone to the tip. Keep finding more pots.
There are narrow brick-edged beds at each side, and down one side are/were huge peony plants . Finished flowering. I've just cut them back to 3 inch stems - have I ruined them?
Found all sorts of rubbish beneath them.

Elegran Sun 29-Jul-18 16:15:59

Your peonies will be fine. I cut mine right back every year and they bounce back.

Cherrytree59 Sun 29-Jul-18 19:07:04

I would like to move a peony that never seems to get any larger and only ever has about 3 flowers.
At present it is on the shady side, would it do better in a sunny position.
If any GNers can advise I would be very..
grateful.

Sorry to hijack your thread Fennelsmile

Fennel Sun 29-Jul-18 21:07:15

It's ok, useful question for me too.
I know nowt about flowers, a bit about vegetables.

Fennel Sun 29-Jul-18 21:08:27

ps thanks Elegran - so I'll look forward to next year for them.

Elegran Sun 29-Jul-18 21:24:46

They should be all the better for it, Fennel

Cherrytree I have heard that peonies are not keen on being moved, but I've never tried it so I don't know whether that is tue.

Chewbacca Sun 29-Jul-18 21:29:53

'tis true, Elegran, once settled, peonies hate being moved and take ages to recover. I moved mine 2 years ago because it was in the "wrong" place and it's never flowered since. If it doesn't flower next Spring, it's going on the compost heap.

Cherrytree59 Sun 29-Jul-18 22:08:06

Oh dearsad
Well suppose a small peony with three flowers is better than no peony..

Elegran Sun 29-Jul-18 22:16:22

You could buy another peony and plant it in a better place. Then of the original one doesn't do better after this hot summer, you wouldn't feel so bad about risking moving it as well if you had a thriving one to take its place if it didn't survive.

MaizieD Sun 29-Jul-18 23:11:40

Move your paeony in the autumn and don't bury the root too deeply. The sites I've just had a quick look at say the 'eyes' or buds (at the top of the root) should be 2 inches deep.

It may take a year or two to recover but as long as you give it a sunny spot it should thrive.

I have several paeony plants which are all from 'bits' that I have been given over the years. They're pretty rampant!