Gransnet forums

Gardening

Ginger root plant

(4 Posts)
Auntieflo Sat 18-Aug-18 08:22:13

Thank you both. My plant is growing indoors, on the kitchen windowsill at the moment. I started it as an experiment, as I had left a piece of root ginger, on a shelf, and the buds started growing. I really didn't expect it to grow and thrive, as I usually have the kiss of death on any houseplant. I just water it and leave it. Do you know how big it may get, and if I should give it a feed? But I do love the strange way the leaves unfurl. Actually, I am quite fond of it now.

BBbevan Sat 18-Aug-18 03:49:00

I also have grown one. It has the most weird interlocking leaves. I had wanted some wild ginger to underplant under some bushes. But it is hard to get. We do have a conservatory so I hope my ginger plant will continue to grow. I planted 3 others last week, but no sign of shoots yet. Intrigued to see how they develop.

Nelliemoser Fri 17-Aug-18 23:43:07

I don't think it will survive a winter. Do you have a conservatory or green house?

Auntieflo Sun 12-Aug-18 09:26:08

Morning, I have grown a plant from a piece of ginger root. It is now 25" tall, with another shoot fast coming alongside, and growing. Does anyone have have any hints or tips as to how to continue to care for it? I think it is probably going to be too tall for its pot soon. Should I keep it as an indoor curiosity?