Gransnet forums

Gardening

Banana tree and winter protection

(10 Posts)
mostlyharmless Thu 23-Aug-18 14:06:03

Daughter has moved to house with an established garden. There’s a huge banana tree there and a couple of yuccas.
It’s on a hillside with thick protecting hedges, but we do get heavy frosts and snow in this area.
Does anyone how much protection the banana tree will need? The RHS site recommends building a substantial wood/wire structure round it and filling that with straw. That sounds over the top to me!
Any ideas?

Jalima1108 Thu 23-Aug-18 15:01:28

I think you trim it back when it starts to get cold and then you could make it a blanket out of fleece and sacking. I saw a friend's which looked in a terrible state last winter but has grown up larger than ever this summer.

ps it's a herbaceous plant, not a tree grin
Winds are not good for banana plants.

Jalima1108 Thu 23-Aug-18 15:02:46

Advice from Wisley:
www.rhs.org.uk/plants/articles/wisley/protecting-bananas-over-winter

I think letting the wet get into the top would not be good, so it could need a waterproof 'hat'.

mostlyharmless Thu 23-Aug-18 15:19:46

Thanks jalima. All looks a bit of a faff!
Looks really exotic at the moment but not going to look very elegant with all that plastic and packing on through the winter!

Jalima1108 Thu 23-Aug-18 18:16:30

Try chopping the leaves off and wrapping the rest in fleece perhaps?

We did have a cordyline which grew into a tree, but what finished that off was snow and ice lying in the top of it and I think it rotted.

Jalima1108 Thu 23-Aug-18 18:17:41

This sounds easy:

Cut the in-ground banana plant back with a sharp, clean machete right before the first expected frost.
Apply a 4- to 6-inch-deep layer of mulch to the banana’s root area.
Wrap the trunk with an old fleece blanket.
Flip a cheap plastic garbage can upside down, and cover the banana stump with it.
Remove the garbage can and trunk wrap in the spring after all danger of frost has passed.

loopyloo Thu 23-Aug-18 20:56:52

Could you possibly ask the previous owners what they used to do?

mostlyharmless Thu 23-Aug-18 21:17:39

Yes loopyloo they might try that! I think there were some fleece covers left in the greenhouse by the previous owners.

Sorry I can’t stand the idea of an upside down bin in a prominent bit of the garden jamila shock

grandma60 Fri 24-Aug-18 07:47:33

A garden down the road from us has three large banana trees in their garden. In winter they are wrapped in bubble wrap but last Christmas they they covered them in white fleece and turned them into a snowman family.

mostlyharmless Fri 24-Aug-18 09:39:37

My grandsons would love that grandma!