Gransnet forums

Gardening

Plum trees

(9 Posts)
Jazzy1527 Thu 30-Aug-18 10:37:22

We have just moved to a house with beautiful plum trees in the garden. They are heavy with fruit, but as a novice gardener, I have no idea how to tell if they are ready to pick. Help! Also any easy recipes for plum jam would be appreciated. Thanks

Baggs Thu 30-Aug-18 10:41:05

Pick one and eat it. If it's soft, juicy and sweet then it's ready.

Baggs Thu 30-Aug-18 10:43:29

Easy plum jam: remove stones and stalks; weigh the fruit; put it all in a big pan; add the same weight of sugar; boil up till setting point is reached (drop some on a cold plate; if it sets in a few minutes, jam's ready).

Pour into hot, clean jars.

Jazzy1527 Thu 30-Aug-18 16:51:26

Thanks for that. I’ll try it.

Diana54 Thu 30-Aug-18 17:48:19

Easier with a jam thermometer, those last few degrees over boiling can take ages. Not sure where you would get one, probably online, get one that goes up to fudge and toffee temperature.

loopyloo Thu 30-Aug-18 19:53:27

Ah plums! If the plums feel soft to touch, and come off the tree easily pick them. But if I were you, cut them in half and check there are no maggots. Once you have taken the stones out you can freeze them loose and use them later. Or you can make jam . Just use same weght of sugar as fruit, stew gently then bring to a roilng boil.

Jalima1108 Thu 30-Aug-18 20:50:44

We thought we may have a plum this year, but alas no.

My jam thermometer (from JL) never tells me the jam is at setting point, so I have gone back to the saucer in the freezer method.

loopyloo Fri 31-Aug-18 08:06:36

Also the ones that ripen later are less likely to be maggotty so keep picking every few days. And a good idea to pick up all the plums from under the tree, clear it of weeds and hoe the ground especially in March so the birds pick up the chrysalises.
And I am going to spray mine next year.

Greyduster Fri 31-Aug-18 08:16:01

We had our first good crop of plums this year. It’s a fairly new tree. Plums are good for jam because you don’t need to worry about adding pectin - the fruit contains plenty so it sets well. I made my first batch of jam this year following advice garnered from various gransnetters and it is delicious. I also used the saucers in the freezer method to test for setting.