Gransnet forums

Gardening

Help with ivy roots

(6 Posts)
mamamags Mon 03-Sep-18 12:20:12

Can anyone tell me the best way to get rid of ivy roots once and for all.
We have a lovely garden (Bit too large for us nowsad). Everything grows too well that's the trouble.
So we have had the ivy, which had stems the as thick as tree trunks, cut down, but the darn things keep coming up everywhere

silverlining48 Mon 03-Sep-18 12:36:30

When you find out let me know, we are grappling with the same problem. Have cut down Massive trunks but they just keep giving.

Nanabilly Mon 03-Sep-18 13:15:17

We recently had tree surgeons in to chop down Hawthorne hedging that was choked to death by ivy and he said "whoever finds a product that completely gets rid of ivy will be very rich"
The one chemical that used to clear it is now not allowed .
I poured a whole tub of salt on a small ivy root some years ago and it's never grown back but neither has anything else in that spot.

Iam64 Mon 03-Sep-18 13:31:35

I have a jar of that banned chemical. Ive had it a long time and not used it because most weeds are easy enough to dig up. the house behind ours has ivy growing everywhere, including over and through the fence. I painted the ivy on one fence panel with the chemical. It died.

Greyduster Mon 03-Sep-18 14:17:37

We removed a large area of shrubbery from in front of our back fence last year and the fence was covered in ivy. We spent weeks ripping it off and cutting it back to the ground, but, as others have said, it keeps on coming. It will keep us busy for years, no doubt.

lemongrove Mon 03-Sep-18 17:23:50

we have just done the same greyduster and repainted the fence, and will just have to keep an eye out for new growth and chop it when it appears.