Gransnet forums

Gardening

Mares tail and strimmers

(12 Posts)
Izabella Fri 07-Sep-18 16:35:59

A couple of queries for the gardening community.

Firstly we have inherited the dreaded mares tail on our new allotment. Any ideas on getting rid of it? It's growing extremely well and we don't like to put weed killers down. We have access to a flame burner and just wondered if anyone had tried that.

Secondly we are looking at buying as trimmer and are looking for recommendations. It must be light and we have no electricity supply near. It will be used for edges, paths etc.

bikergran Fri 07-Sep-18 16:52:57

Izabelle

I think as you prob know that it is a &@@)!!! to get rid of.

One think I can suggest is NOT! to rotavate or strim it.

We made the mistake of rotovating our allotment when we got it, it had mares tail on, we didn't realise that by rotavating all we did was break the mares tail up into tiny pieces which just grew even worse we never ever got rid of it permanently. If you look at it closely you will find it breaks into little segments, these in turn sort of seed and grow into another plant. Hope you can find a solution.

Elegran Fri 07-Sep-18 17:00:47

Putting your two queries together, I would say, DON'T use the strimmer on the marestail! That would just distribute the bits of black root around, and you'd get new plants from each of them.

I don't know how well the flame burner would work, as I've never tried it, but I do know that you have to get rid of the roots as well as the surface growth, or it will just come back. We have a rockery which is all rocks with pockets of earth in (in contrast to a lot of rockeries which are a pile of earth with some rocks doted about on.) It took stripping out all the plants and then years of weedkillers twice a year to kill it off, and even then the little spiky shoots would peek up occasionally and have to get individual treatment, spraying something into a plastic bag that would be absorbed down to the root, bruising the shiny grren surface of the marestail and trapping it in the bag in contact with the weedkiller, then sealing the bag and leaving it to die back. The surface is so shiny that the weedkiller just runs off unless you bruise it.

It reproduces by spores as in the picture, which are on an unobtrusive brown spike which appears sneakily in March or so, before the green shoots. ~It is the same colour os the ground, so easily missed. If you spot one, wrap a poly bag over it when you remove it, so that the spores don't fall in the process.

Marestail is a plant that has been around for millions of years and survived, so it is very tough! Wikipedia says "Equisetum is a "living fossil" as it is the only living genus of the entire class Equisetopsida, which for over one hundred million years was much more diverse and dominated the understory of late Paleozoic forests. Some Equisetopsida were large trees reaching to 30 meters tall."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equisetum#Description

Fennel Fri 07-Sep-18 17:19:34

I don't know about mare's tail. It was one of the few weeds we didn't see in France.
But I bought a strimmer as you're looking for. Lightweight, not plugin. But it was battery operated, and the battery didn't last very well. Also very limited in strength to tackle growth on a sloping bank. Which was what I got it for.
OTOH I still have a Bosche Isio hand held edge trimmer with a lithium battery, which still works well. I've recharged the battery many times.

midgey Fri 07-Sep-18 17:40:24

Marestail is rampant around here. Even if you use weed killer you have bruise the weeds first, if you use a burner you won’t stop it just give a bit of a fright!

Izabella Sat 08-Sep-18 12:46:27

thanks all. i did not realise about the spore or bruising prior to application of herbicide, so many thanks for that. the strimmer is for use on the paths and area that dont have maretails so that should be ok.

will do a bit more research and let you all know the final decision.

overthehill Sun 09-Sep-18 21:02:38

I also have a Bosch hand held trimmer. Fantastic, do most of the gardening with this and aquired off ebay for a fiver an excellent leaf blower/vac have to have power for this though. Just use hoe to finish off. Gardening sorted.

mimiro Sun 09-Sep-18 21:11:29

www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/weeds-pests-diseases/vinegar-mares-horses-tail_70314.html

mimiro Sun 09-Sep-18 21:25:20

in the usa so don't know prices and such in uk
got this with 2 batteries and spools for life(shipping)really easy to use/spools are easy to replace
it cost 130 usd,but the batteries when charged according to specs trims my 1 acre lot with time left over,it converts into an edger which can be a small version of a tiller.so no digging, tidy yard,no need for electric,fairly lightweight.
have had mine for 5 years and no trouble.i use it about 8 hours a week from april to december.also a great mini lawn mower.
i get these random tall weeds popping up all year round and it keeps me from having to go pull them or drag out the mower

www.worx.com/en_GB/lawn-garden/20v-lawn-garden-tools/20v-max-lithium-ion-grass-trimmer-2.html

shysal Mon 10-Sep-18 10:02:34

Sorry, can't help with the Mare's tail. DD has it coming from her neighbour who is foreign and not familiar with our weeds. He thinks the MT is pretty!

I had a cordless Black and Decker strimmer in the past but the battery very soon stopped holding a charge for more than a few minutes. I now have a Gtech one which is much better and light and easy to use. It uses plastic blades instead of a cord, which is a bit of a pain, but they supply them free for life, charging only the P&P.
www.gtech.co.uk/spares//gtech-st20-cordless-grass-trimmer.html

loopyloo Mon 10-Sep-18 14:03:03

Ah! Strimmers I have a fleet of them. One lightweight old art 23 Bosch with battery. Have bought 2 new batteries but the latest is working quite well. The strimmer itself is light enough to on the back of the bike. It lasts for about 20mins .
Also have a petrol one that is good for the allotment. Bought it from a local garden machinery shop that can service and repair it for me.

Izabella Mon 10-Sep-18 14:29:58

gosh, twenty minutes does not sound long