Gransnet forums

Gardening

Is underlay for artificial grass really necessary?

(13 Posts)
fourormore Sat 06-Oct-18 11:48:27

We have a small back yard approx 13' x 11' and have bought a square of artificial grass purely for cosmetic reasons!
The yard is concrete and when the artificial grass is laid we will be placing two heavy benches on it (one each side) and a mini-shed/cupboard on a third side. There is no way that the grass could slide around with them on top.
We don't need cushioning like they recommend around kiddies swings etc. but the chap who will be laying the grass for us has recommended underlay that I can get from a well known auction site.
I am sure many GN folks will have had the same sort of thing so I would appreciate any advice! Obviously we don't want to spend more than we have to, but, at the same time, if it is necessary we don't want to spoil the effect.
Thanks!

ninathenana Sat 06-Oct-18 17:40:10

I have seen on TV that it is reccomended you use underlay especially when laying over bare earth or slabs as it prevents anything sharp from tearing the "grass' as you walk on it. If you are laying on smooth concrete with no gaps and it is well cleaned before hand then you may be ok.

Situpstraight1 Sat 06-Oct-18 18:26:37

I was always told ‘do it once and do it properly’ if you’ve been advised to have an underlay then it would be advisable to have it.

Situpstraight1 Sat 06-Oct-18 18:27:47

As an aside , our neighbours were hoovering their lawn yesterday! For years I thought it was real, it looks so good.

BlueBelle Sat 06-Oct-18 18:29:11

Won’t it hold water if it’s on top of concrete ?

MissAdventure Sat 06-Oct-18 18:30:50

Weeds can come through if you don't have underlay, as its woven.

MissAdventure Sat 06-Oct-18 18:32:02

Well, cancel that; I've just read the OP properly. blush

Eglantine21 Sat 06-Oct-18 19:01:45

It sort of wrinkles without the underlay. You know how a rug on carpet always travels even with a sofa on top of it, not the whole rug but the bits that aren’t pinned down ruck up a bit.

I don’t have it myself but several people on the estate have done their front gardens and you can tell the ones that have just put it down without some sort of base. It undulates.

fourormore Sat 06-Oct-18 19:03:30

Thanks everyone for your thoughts - like you situpstraight I always remember what my Grandma used to say ... Don't spoil the ship for a hap'worth of tar and we were prepared to pay the extra.
However, the chap we spoke to first hadn't seen our yard.
A second chap has seen it and as we have good drainage, and the surface is very clean and smooth he has suggested we don't really need it.
It is such a small area, especially when the 'furniture' is replaced, that we have decided to go for it without underlay, but thank you again everyone for your thoughts.

Situpstraight1 Sun 07-Oct-18 07:23:32

I would think that if it rucks up you could always roll it up and put the underlay down at a later date.

fourormore Sun 07-Oct-18 11:56:30

That's a possibility situpstraight but the plan is to glue it around the edges where we feel necessary. The two benches we have are very heavy and also the little 'cupboard/shed' will be very heavy when DH puts all his junk back into it. We also have several planters but we do appreciate everyone's thoughts. Thank you everyone!

BlueBelle Sun 07-Oct-18 15:38:28

Each to his own but oh how I hate this stuff

fourormore Sun 07-Oct-18 19:09:56

It will make it nicer than sitting out with concrete under our feet Bluebelle - as you say not everyone's cup of tea! smile