Gransnet forums

Gardening

growing fennel

(10 Posts)
Fennel Thu 11-Oct-18 20:32:01

Has anyone ever grown fennel in the UK?
I used to grow it in France, usually bought young plants in the market. In summer, I think.
It has very pretty fern like leaves, which can be used as a herb. And yellow flowers.
Then later the bulbs develop which are very tasty.
Perhaps the climate isn't warm enough here.

BBbevan Thu 11-Oct-18 20:36:21

I grew fennel this year. Lovely fronds but no bulb,Just thin parsnip like roots. Apparently you have to plant Florence fennel to get bulbs.

merlotgran Thu 11-Oct-18 20:38:40

I grow fennel in a raised bed from seed started off in the greenhouse. Once planted out you have to be careful not to let them dry out or they will bolt.

Delicious braised in white wine with carrot batons and garlic

merlotgran Thu 11-Oct-18 20:40:05

I should have said, Yes. Florence fennel to get bulbs. The other one is a herb.

Fennel Fri 12-Oct-18 09:39:56

Thanks for the tips. I'll look out for Florence fennel next year.

Farmor15 Fri 12-Oct-18 13:05:52

The herb type of fennel grows like a weed in our garden - pops up all over the place. Produces lots of seeds which can be collected and used in cooking as well. We also grew Florence fennel, but in polytunnel - might grow outside though.

Liz46 Fri 12-Oct-18 13:13:56

We grew fennel from seed (started off at home) on our allotment a few years ago. I normally put seed in a seed tray and put the tray in a plastic bag until it germinates so I assume that this is what I did with the fennel. I don't think it grew to the size that we buy in the supermarket but it was a lot fresher!

We used to go to the allotment in the morning, pick whatever was ripe, come home and chop it all up. In the oven it went with olive oil and balsamic vinegar while we had a shower and then we would have lunch with a little crusty loaf to soak up juices. Lovely.

Fennel Fri 12-Oct-18 13:31:53

Which part of the country was that, Liz? We're in the NE and I'm wondering if it's too cold.

Liz46 Fri 12-Oct-18 14:23:06

North west. About halfway between Chester and Liverpool.

Liz46 Fri 12-Oct-18 14:26:49

Fennel, my OH is from the north east and I know from visiting that it is colder than it is here. Give it a go though. I always just thought it's just the cost of a packet of seeds and a bit of effort that is at risk.