Gransnet forums

Gardening

Mushrooms and toadstools

(5 Posts)
Blue45Sapphire Wed 17-Oct-18 09:36:09

Help, my lawn has been invaded by seemingly hundreds of mushrooms or toadstools! What's the best way to rid myself of these pesky things, please?

Baggs Wed 17-Oct-18 10:01:37

Fungi are necessary. Many live in a symbiotic relationship with plants. Even if you don't see any mushrooms or toadstools, there are still loads in the soil. What you're seeing is only the fruiting bodies. Just leave them alone; they'll die off fairly quickly.

If you are worried about pets or children eating poisonous fungi, gather up the fruiting bodies and bin them.

farview Thu 18-Oct-18 19:32:27

Totally agree with Baggs ?

Jalima1108 Thu 18-Oct-18 20:26:21

We had a lot of fungi in the back garden the other day - all along where I think the roots of a pollarded tree are.
They disappeared fairly quickly.
We've also had, I think, psilocybin mushrooms (magic mushrooms) growing in the lawn but I just give them a kick into the grass. Perhaps I should destroy them.

We did see some agaric toadstools (fairy mushrooms) in the woods when we were walking with the DGC - and taught them to look but never touch.

BlueBelle Thu 18-Oct-18 21:30:40

My mum and dad are buried in a nice flat grassy area and last week their grave was covered with those little light brown fungi but no other grave had any on them ??? I wondered why there are graves either side and it’s open plan no concrete sides or anything around individual graves