Gransnet forums

Gardening

Moving things around

(7 Posts)
watermeadow Thu 18-Oct-18 19:00:09

I’m always moving the furniture around and love a change indoors but what I really enjoy is a bit of landscaping.
I don’t spend a lot or hire cement mixer or JCBs but rearranging bricks, paving or paths makes a big difference. Last autumn I built a new pond and now I’m redesigning my front garden. Laying turf and filling the smaller borders with plants from elsewhere. After two day’s work it looks totally different.
It would have been easier without my puppy’s help.

aggie Thu 18-Oct-18 19:04:59

I have done a bit of "redecorating" the border today smile hauled out the geraniums , rammed in daffodil bulbs and topped with violas , looks completely different

BBbevan Thu 18-Oct-18 19:51:43

When we moved into our new house, with a wonderful garden, a gardener told us. " You have lots of wonderful, unusual plants. But many are in the wrong place" So we have researched them and he was right. The last year we have moved a lot and they and the garden are looking much better. I have loved doing this and creating new areas to accommodate the plants . But there is still quite a lot to do.

Jalima1108 Thu 18-Oct-18 20:19:03

My geraniums (pelargoniums) look better than they have all summer.
I know I should take them out but am reluctant to do so.

aggie Thu 18-Oct-18 20:23:16

yes , mine were looking good , but I had the bulbs to get planted , so I got the pelargoniums out , cut them down and crammed them into a planter to store in the garage , I do this every few years and mostly they survive and give an earlier show in the summer . I do cuttings as well but not this year

Fennel Thu 18-Oct-18 20:26:02

I'm a believer in certain plants liking certain positions.
eg we have 2 small plots at the front and one has a few vigorous bushy fuschias. Now I've seen two new fuschia plants starting at the other side. I'm not going to move those.

Jalima1108 Thu 18-Oct-18 20:28:03

I must be ruthless.