Gransnet forums

Gardening

What is it and what can I do about it?

(22 Posts)
sunseeker Sun 28-Oct-18 09:48:32

Anyone got any idea what can be digging little holes in my lawn? Every morning for the past couple of weeks I find small holes scratched into the grass, not very deep but several of them. Any ideas what I can do to prevent it happening. I must point out I am not a gardener - the best thing about having a garden is sitting in it on a sunny afternoon with a good book.

PamelaJ1 Sun 28-Oct-18 09:54:34

Voles or squirrels that are burying nuts.
DH says probably voles.
We had them earlier this year. Is the grass a bit long? They like a bit of cover.

sunseeker Sun 28-Oct-18 09:56:33

Nothing buried and the grass is short.

Auntieflo Sun 28-Oct-18 09:57:31

We used to get bees making holes

Alygran Sun 28-Oct-18 10:08:43

If it’s just small patches could it be worms? I have some too.

POGS Sun 28-Oct-18 10:37:17

I agree with the possibility of a squirrel. Not finding anything is not a sign it is not a squirrel.

BlueBelle Sun 28-Oct-18 10:50:44

Worms,

sunseeker Sun 28-Oct-18 10:59:43

Would worms "fold" back the layer of grass. It looks like something with claws has scratched the holes - too big to be worms I think -over an inch across. I suppose it could be squirrels (I've had problems with them in by garage roof in the past!) but the holes are very shallow - seems more like something is looking for something rather than hiding something.

grannyticktock Sun 28-Oct-18 11:12:48

Badgers make holes rather like the divots left by a heavy golf club. Rooks and crow ssometimes make smaller holes, tearing up the turf in search of grubs. Squirrels sometimes dig holes but fail to bury anything, possibly because they're searching for buried items, or retrieving something buried earlier. Smaller, neater holes could be made by some sort of bee.

Elegran Sun 28-Oct-18 12:06:56

Squirrels or foxes digging up the underground nests of bumblebees or of small rodents, maybe digging up the larvae or pupae of daddylonglegs ( leatherjackets) Young foxes are now out in the world finding food for themselves, and a mouthful is better than nothing, and doesn't need to be chased and caught.

tessagee Sun 28-Oct-18 14:46:49

Magpies possibly.

NanaMacGeek Sun 28-Oct-18 14:57:11

We have green woodpeckers where I live.

sunseeker Sun 28-Oct-18 16:26:46

Thanks for the ideas of what it could be - any advice on how to deal with it?

Elegran Sun 28-Oct-18 16:44:30

I don't think you can deal with it. If it is wildlife digging up other wildlife, the most you can tell do is tell yourself that the ones that have been dug up and eaten will be gone. However, the diggers may come back to check they didn't miss any!

SpringyChicken Sun 28-Oct-18 16:51:30

Many times I have watched squirrels scrabbling away at the lawn to bury nuts and acorns. Sometimes they are successful, sometimes they give up and move on to the flower beds. They have been busy for a month or so here.

EllanVannin Sun 28-Oct-18 16:55:10

Sounds like squirrels to me either looking for what they buried or in fact burying something. The grass will soon spread over where they've been unless the lawn's like a bowling green.

Patsy70 Sun 28-Oct-18 17:49:09

Miner bees! I was listening to the BBC Radio Kent gardening programme this morning, and someone asked the same question.

Buffybee Sun 28-Oct-18 18:06:12

I had something like this a couple of years ago. The holes were round and about 2" across and about the same depth.
I noticed about half a dozen at first and every morning there were more. The holes almost looked like the ones made by a bulb planter, that takes a plug of earth out.
After a week there were more than twenty and I even wondered if someone was playing a prank on me.
Anyway, when the gardener arrived he told me that they had been made by a badger.
It stopped after a couple of weeks and has never happened since.

NanTheWiser Sun 28-Oct-18 20:55:51

As already mentioned, it's probably birds (such as starlings or magpies) going after leatherjackets or worms, I've watched a few myself recently.

sunseeker Sun 04-Nov-18 07:30:16

Update. Something has now dug a very deep hole under the garage window! Too small to be a badger, I really don't know what it can be and at this point I too scared to investigate!! Brother in law is calling in today so I will ask his advice.

Buffybee Sun 04-Nov-18 09:34:24

Intrigued what creature this could be.
Let us know if you get to the bottom of this mystery sunseeker.

POGS Sun 04-Nov-18 10:36:41

Sunseeker

I do think you need to get expert advice if this has happened.

Have you thought to rig up a camera?

Do you find any droppings?