Gransnet forums

Gardening

Soft fruits.

(3 Posts)
gmelon Thu 01-Nov-18 17:03:43

Have you any advice about growing berries and soft fruits? Which time of year to plant, where in the garden, how to protect from birds.
Where would I buy some good quality bushes/canes? I know so little that I'm not even sure what the term is.
I already have an out of control blackcurrant bush. I'm at a loss as to what should be done with it It was in the garden when I arrived here.

On a seperate subject;
I've got a mystery bush that I'll post a picture of, I'm sure it will be identified immediately by you clever gardeners.
Thank you

Farmor15 Thu 01-Nov-18 17:49:02

Raspberries are very easy to grow but need a bit of space as they like to roam around the garden. They can be planted any time from now till about March. There are 2 main types, summer fruiting and autumn fruiting.

We only had summer ones till recently, then I bought a couple of Autumn ones in Lidl and they have been producing fruit from September till now.

Probably best to buy in garden centre.

MamaCaz Thu 01-Nov-18 18:38:14

For the overgroen blackcurrant, I would remove at least a third of the branches, taking out the oldest, thickest-looking ones, then shorten the remaining branches by about a third. Then in following years, keep removing the oldest branches in the same way after fruiting.
They are very forgiving - even if you cut all the branches back, the bush would grow back, though you might not get much fruit the following year

I grow autumn raspberries (Autumn Bliss), because they crop for ages. Also, they are relatively easy to care for as you just cut them right down to the ground each winter, and the new fruiting canes will appear in spring.