Gransnet forums

Gardening

hanging baskets

(12 Posts)
Fennel Wed 07-Nov-18 20:02:04

In our front 'garden' we have some variety of fuchia which is still flowering. And two shrub roses which I cut back 2 months ago are producing new flowers.

Mabel2 Wed 07-Nov-18 15:30:43

We're still getting outdoor tomatoes! Roses blooming, petunias still going and beautiful fuchsias. I still have flowers on both borage and feverfew, never had them this late before.

Grannyknot Sun 04-Nov-18 15:53:33

Thanks Shysal.

shysal Sun 04-Nov-18 11:47:02

Thank you travelsafar. I always add slow-release plant food and water frequently, but perhaps not enough.

travelsafar Sun 04-Nov-18 07:36:44

shysal Re the Lobelia, i think it is due to the fine weather we have had, plus this year i have been very good about using plant food in my baskets, i really think that has helped too.

shysal Sat 03-Nov-18 17:44:39

Grannyknot, I plant things mentioned in my post above plus some short-stemmed tulip bulbs. My local plant centre has a wheelbarrow display with the pansies and bright green baby conifers which are very attractive.

Grannyknot Sat 03-Nov-18 17:13:47

Thanks, Patsy. smile

shysal Sat 03-Nov-18 16:59:23

Me too. I bought pansies, mini conifers and ivy to re-plant my baskets and pots, expecting the summer plants to die off, but the balcony geraniums, fuschias and Million bells are as pretty as ever and I don't have the heart to throw them out.
travelsafar, I am interested to read that your Lobelia have lasted this long. I used to find they were over before the end of summer, so started to use the Million Bells instead.

Patsy70 Sat 03-Nov-18 16:50:33

Primulas, evergreen grasses, ferns, ivy, heathers, heucheras come to mind, Grannyknot.

Grannyknot Sat 03-Nov-18 16:46:48

Apologies for (slightly) hijacking this thread, but what do people plant in their hanging baskets to see them through the winter season? I'm getting seriously bored with cyclamens...

Luckygirl Sat 03-Nov-18 16:44:57

I am in the same situation! I have million bells that are flowering in their trillions and some jolly winter pansies waiting for a home!

travelsafar Sat 03-Nov-18 15:06:54

Due to the fine weather my hanging baskets have just kept blooming. This afternoon i reluctantly decided to change them for the Violas i had purchased a couple of weeks ago as they needed to come out of the plastic trays urgently. I couldn't bear to thrown the flowers in the compost bins so i have planted them in a bare piece of ground and will leave them to either die off or carry on flowering, I am hoping the lobelia and french marigolds will shed their seeds which i can then reuse in the spring.