Gransnet forums

Gardening

Michaelmas daisies and chrysanthemum

(9 Posts)
Luckygirl Fri 04-Jan-19 13:10:43

I have some michaelmas daisies which flowered for the first time this year - they were lovely but now are of course all brown. Do I cut them back or leave them be?

Also, huge chrysanthemum in a pot, which ash died back. Do I have to do anything to it or is that it? - gorn!

Thank you for your help.

Luckygirl Fri 04-Jan-19 13:11:02

Sorry - flowered for the first time last year!

EllanVannin Fri 04-Jan-19 13:15:44

Cut them back so the nutrients from the roots stay at a lower level and keeps them strong.

ninathenana Fri 04-Jan-19 13:15:52

We have Chrysanthemums that have flowered for the past 4 years. DH just dead heads rather than prune.
Move the pot to a sheltered spot (if you can) and unless we have a very cold spell yours should be fine.

Greyduster Fri 04-Jan-19 13:22:57

They are perrenial. I had these in my last garden and just trimmed them lightly when the flowers had gone over. They do tend to be a bit thuggy, which is why I haven’t introduced them to my present garden, but they grow wild around here so I do get to enjoy them on walks!

Greyduster Fri 04-Jan-19 13:23:39

Sorry. The above relates to Michaelmas daisies.

Luckygirl Sat 05-Jan-19 11:42:33

Thanks for all the advice - I will give them a little trim - is it OK to do it now, or have I missed the boat?

merlotgran Sat 05-Jan-19 12:03:40

It doesn't really matter, Luckygirl. I have some I didn't have time to cut back in the autumn so I've left them. I will now wait for another month or until I can see some new growth at the base just in case we get some really harsh weather. I suspect our frosts are harder than yours.

Trimming them now won't hurt them.

Luckygirl Sat 05-Jan-19 12:10:25

Thanks merlot - all I have to do now is remember all this stuff people are kindly telling me!