Gransnet forums

Gardening

Garden lawn issues

(7 Posts)
Freeasabird Wed 16-Jan-19 11:07:26

Our lawn has little soil since shillate is an ongoing problem. Back in November OH spread fertiliser!! Result now is the moss has dissapeared but so has the grass! We are now left with burnt grey large patches on the lawn. What to do next? Stumped. Grateful for any tips folks

Elegran Wed 16-Jan-19 11:17:08

I have no idea what shillate is, and an internet search only brings up irrelevant sites, so I can't be any help about your lawn. Maybe the fertiliser was incompatable with the shillate (whatever it is) ? or was too strong? Maybe you need to add a layer of new topsoil? Try a gardening site, you will probably get more advice from experts.

Freeasabird Wed 16-Jan-19 11:38:34

Thank you for your advice. I've probably spelt shillate incorrectly. Is Clift type rocks since live near a river. Yes will try gardening site and agree that lawn fertiliser was too strong. Thanks for your input Elegran.

Elegran Wed 16-Jan-19 12:02:38

Clift type rocks doesn't help me either!

Liz46 Wed 16-Jan-19 12:10:35

Maybe the staff at your local garden centre can help as they would be familiar with the area?

MiniMoon Wed 16-Jan-19 12:38:00

Best thing to do is rake over the bald patches getting as much old soil up as possible. Mix grass seed, sand and fine loam, and spread in the patches. It will take a while to look good again once the grass grows, but be patient and it should look fine.

M0nica Wed 16-Jan-19 15:46:43

Geology near a river will vary but represent the wider area geology - chalk, limestone, granite etc. In the river valleys/plains this is normally overlaid by a thick layer of alluvium, which is an excellent growing medium.