Gransnet forums

Gardening

How best to save hyacinth bulbs after flowering

(45 Posts)
Grammaretto Sun 10-Feb-19 11:10:59

This is a question. I was asked and said remove them from their pot, let them dry out and leave them in a dry shed until the autumn when you can plant them again.
Was this the wrong answer?

jeanie99 Mon 25-Mar-19 09:35:36

Mine are just in the garden and left there they come up in the Spring each year, they are in flower now and look wonderful.

Greyduster Thu 14-Mar-19 15:30:27

Blimey nellie they are growing all over my garden! My parsley’s doing pretty well too! Just confirms what my DH has been thinking all along!?

Floradora9 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:44:47

Antone else simply hate the smell of them . I would not have them in my house or garden . The only bulbs which really like to be lifted and dried out are tulips.

lemongrove Wed 13-Mar-19 11:48:00

I was thinking that too Nelly as I don’t have much luck with planted out hyacinths or parsley.

Nelliemoser Wed 13-Mar-19 11:38:53

If you can grow them you are in league with the devil.
Same with parsley and several other plants you cannot grow.
It's a devils job.

wink wink or become a better gardener.
You do have to know what sort of soil your plants are in

Gettingitrightoneday Tue 05-Mar-19 15:37:31

Most of the bulbs have been given to me in pots.

I have been re- planting mine in the garden and they are doing well. These are Hyacinth and small crocus, the stripy blue ones.
They have all done better in a year in the garden than the pots. I am really impressed for once.

Annaram1 Wed 13-Feb-19 13:59:26

I think I must be lucky as both my amaryllis just remain in the original pots and even when they die back I still give them a little water occasionally, and they always respond by giving me flowers year after year. I may give them a bit of babybio once or twice as the leaves are starting up, which the yare now. They are the most unfussy plants I know. I have them on a windowsill in my kitchen which gets a lot of sunlight. They are South African I think. I haven't even changed the soil.

Esspee Tue 12-Feb-19 17:02:26

Lisagran
Ground coffee is acidic but used coffee grounds are near to neutral and act as a slow release fertiliser. I am experimenting to see if squirrels dislike the smell or perhaps it simply masks the delicious smell of bulbs. Last year they munched through all the crocus I planted and quite a few of my pots of bulbs. So far so good this year ?.

Lisagran Tue 12-Feb-19 09:21:00

Lots of interesting info, Esspee, thanks. I thought I read somewhere that using coffee grounds on the garden was not now considered a good idea?

Esspee Tue 12-Feb-19 08:47:34

I have experimented this year with coffee grounds to deter the squirrels from digging up my new bulbs. Won't know if it has worked until the flowers either appear or not.
Many coffee shops are happy to let you have their used grounds and it is a useful addition to the soil when sprinkled on the surface about 1cm deep

Esspee Tue 12-Feb-19 08:40:00

Begonias and dahlias are only lifted every winter because of our cold wet climate. When I lived in New Zealand I didn't have to lift them at all.
If you are lucky enough to live on sandy soil in a warm part of this country you could try leaving some in the soil.

Esspee Tue 12-Feb-19 08:34:18

Hyacinths need the same treatment as Amaryllis except they don't need to be dried out and will be happiest in a sunny spot in the garden. After removing the flower stem ensure the leaves get lots of sunshine to build up the bulb and fertilise them.
If the flowering stems get too lanky indoors that is caused by insufficient light and cannot be remedied. Insert sticks round the edge of the plant pot and use an elastic band or string to keep the heads upright. Next year use new bulbs and keep them on a south facing window ledge.

Esspee Tue 12-Feb-19 08:25:16

What you need to remember with bulbs is that the plant has to build up it's strength to make a flower the next year.
After flowering the Amaryllis sends up leaves. They convert sunlight through their leaves into food. I also feed dilute fertiliser. Do NOT tie leaves into knots (this applies to all bulbs including daffodils). Come the Autumn stop watering, allow the leaves to die back and leave bone dry for six weeks or so. Trim off the dead leaves, and two thirds of the roots, pot up in fresh compost and water sparingly. You will have beautiful flowers again in the spring.
It is very important with amaryllis to keep the neck of the bulb dry and standing proud of the soil. Overwatering kills.

Lisagran Mon 11-Feb-19 21:10:18

GabriellaG54 - no I just sort of prop the hyacinths up with the chopsticks (or garden twigs), maybe tying with a bit of string if needed.

GabriellaG54 Mon 11-Feb-19 21:01:08

Lisagran
Thanks.
Do you put them up (inside) the stalk? I can't see any chopsticks in the photo but the hyacinths look pretty.
Mine were already planted in a cardboard pot and grew quite tall then flopped. Next time I think I'll put wire up the stems. grin

Lisagran Mon 11-Feb-19 16:05:47

GabriellaG54 - chopsticks are good for supporting floppy hyacinths smile

Then I always plant mine directly in the garden after flowering

grandtanteJE65 Mon 11-Feb-19 15:59:22

Usually, it is not warm enough to plant anything when my hyacinths and other flowers from bulbs stop flowering, so I take them out of the pot and store them in a dry cool place until it is mild enough to plant them outside.

GabriellaG54 Mon 11-Feb-19 13:07:52

I like the fragrance but hate the fact that they bend and need small stakes.
A pot of hyacinths I bought some weeks ago in M&S, did just that.
I bound the stalks with a length of narrow ribbon jyst under the petals but the heavy tops still toppled over.

Annaram1 Mon 11-Feb-19 11:28:52

MOnica, I have had 2 amaryllis which have come up year after year for at least 5 years. I have them on my kitchen window sill, I let them die down, then keep watering the seemingly dead bulb on and off and suddenly, hey presto, it grows new leaves and then flowers again. One of the bulbs I discovered on somebody else's compost heap, and I rescued it and still have it. A lot of people think they are one time flowerers, but they are mistaken. Like MOnica and the Gardeners Question time people ,who should know better. Best of luck and it costs nothing to try, does it?

David1968 Mon 11-Feb-19 11:22:12

Over the years I have done both ways. Have planted hyacinths directly into the garden bed, as soon as the flowers are over and the leaves are drooping, and I've also left them to dry out (in the shed) then planted them later. Both ways have worked. I think that a lot depends on the weather, soil, locations, quality of bulbs etc, as well as the pesky squirrels. I've also had Amaryllis come up year after year, by letting them dry out in the pot (again, in the shed.)

4allweknow Mon 11-Feb-19 11:12:26

Plant in the garden after flowering. Suppose you could keep them in the shed until spring then plant out.

BBbevan Mon 11-Feb-19 10:08:24

The amaryllis , silly ?

Grammaretto Mon 11-Feb-19 08:15:31

BBbevan the dog or the amaryllis?
grin
I planted an entire bed of bulbs which were all eaten by mice or squirrels. I think I was left with one narcissi and an iris. No crocuses or scilla survived.

BBbevan Mon 11-Feb-19 03:49:53

My MiL's dog ate their Amaryllis but it grew again the next year .

BlueBelle Sun 10-Feb-19 19:19:22

No ignored it completely Gram didn’t water after leaves dropped Just wasn’t lucky