Gransnet forums

Gardening

Leveling a strip of lawn

(11 Posts)
bikergran Sun 17-Feb-19 16:34:45

I may also try that before the backbreaking chore of re turfing

jeanie99 Sun 17-Feb-19 16:16:07

Thanks for that Colgran65 I hadn't thought of that.
I'm useless
There was a time years ago when I had a fully functioning brain but no longer.

Coolgran65 Sat 16-Feb-19 21:42:15

Yes, I would level off with soil. Tamp it down using a roller or use a board, stamp hard down on the board until it’s level and smooth. Keep working at it until you’re sure it’s at the right level. Then sow fresh grass seed.

jeanie99 Sat 16-Feb-19 20:52:02

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and going to try the sifted soil and added grass seed. Fingers crossed.

bikergran Sat 16-Feb-19 12:00:01

I now have the same problem. I had a wide flower border about 2 foot wide. I bought some turf last year and put extra soil on and patted down before I laid the new turf..unfortunately as the months and rain went by the soil sunk and is now a lot lower than the existing lawn.

I think the only way really for me is to lift the newer turf re fill with more soil and put the turf back. I could do without it but its only going to sink lower.

I have started putting gravel down where poss and getting rid of the borders, making less work less weeding etc. and just have few pots around.

toscalily Sat 16-Feb-19 11:32:38

I would add soil allowing for it to grow through before adding more. You could start now with a light sprinkle and do it more frequently in Spring when it is growing faster.

BusterTank Sat 16-Feb-19 10:50:20

You could put a small boarder and fill with stones of any kind , it always look quite effective being you can get them different colour . It stops the weeds from coming through and you can put your plant pots on top , or grow your plants straight into the stones . ☺ happy gardening .

mande Sat 16-Feb-19 09:34:25

I have added soil to a low spot in my garden alongside a wall. I then raked in some grass seed. It sorted my problem.

Elegran Fri 15-Feb-19 20:27:39

Maybe add sifted soil in several stages. The grass will grow through a thinnish layer then you can add another later, and repeat as necessary.

silverlining48 Fri 15-Feb-19 17:32:30

Would have thought the grass would grow through sifted soil but depends on depth of the gap.

jeanie99 Fri 15-Feb-19 14:30:09

I had a narrow border by the fence, it always looked untidy so I decided to purchase a couple of strips of grass.
Did the levelling of the soil and carefully stamped down to what I thought was level with the existing lawn but unfortunately is is not and now is lower.
I had thought about perhaps covering the strip with potting compost and seeing if the grass would grow through.
I don't want to have to spade the lawn off and start again.
Is there an easy way to solve this problem.