Gransnet forums

Gardening

T&M allotment pack has arrived!

(10 Posts)
Grammaretto Mon 25-Feb-19 21:44:00

Thanks to you Cherrytree I sent off for this pack and it's arrived. The bare rooted fruit bushes look dry. Should I keep them in water until I can plant them?
They are destined for DDs new garden but I'll not be able to deliver/plant them for a couple of weeks.

Vonners Tue 26-Feb-19 01:48:28

I'm no expert but if already dry I'd be inclined to stand in a bucket of water for a while and then plant in large pots, replanting when you are able. Water well after planting too.

M0nica Tue 26-Feb-19 05:31:34

Yes,soak them for 24 hours then heel them into the ground or a pot and keep watered until you are ready to plant them.

Grammaretto Tue 26-Feb-19 08:18:52

Thanks. I'll do that and keep fingers crossed for survival.

The shrub, a daphne, I bought from a garden centre a few weeks ago has dropped all its leaves. It's still in its pot.

dragonfly46 Tue 26-Feb-19 08:22:52

I love Daphne Grammaretto the scent reminds me of whip and top season!

Cherrytree59 Tue 26-Feb-19 08:27:23

Hi Grammaretto
My box has also arrived.

Thanks all for the advice I will pot ours up after soaking as I need to clear an area to plant up.
Hope your daughter enjoys The fruits of your Labour GM ?

Grammaretto Tue 26-Feb-19 09:47:19

It's exciting and now I've given them a drink and had a closer look everything looks alive at least.
Do we all have the same varieties? The strawbs are "elsanta mother" which I'd not come across.
Such a lucky dip but now the hard work starts. The prospect of my DDs garden which has lain neglected for maybe 10 years.....the couch grass...the brambles...whats that tv programme where they rescue your patch in an afternoon? grin

Cherrytree59 Tue 26-Feb-19 17:58:09

Grammaretto You need Ground Force ?

Yes I have elsanta mother strawberries. ?
We will have to compare crop yield in the summer time.
Before my little grandson eats everything in site

loopyloo Wed 27-Feb-19 15:37:37

Hurrah! My pack has arrived. What value! Gooseberries blueberries strawberries raspberries and lots of packets of seeds. Will be frantically busy planting it all out.

Cherrytree59 Wed 27-Feb-19 16:54:48

Great news loopyloo ?
I have potted strawberries into large pots.
At moment I'm keeping
them undercover as we are still having overnight frosts even with high day time
temperatures.
Need to investigate futher when it is safe to plant outside.
Have raspberries in water and also soaked blueberry and gooseberry bushes. Will plant into large pots until I have sorted fruit bed out.
Then time sort the seedssmile.