Gransnet forums

Gardening

Watering seeds

(11 Posts)
Luckygirl Sun 03-Mar-19 09:49:25

Novice Gardener here again!

The GC and I have planted lots of seeds and they are indoors.
They have just started to sprout!!!! - very exciting.
How much should I water them? - don't want to either drown or starve them. So far I have given a light sprinkling every other day.

Greyduster Sun 03-Mar-19 09:55:41

If the seedlings are very tiny, or have yet to sprout, I usually use a spray mister to thoroughly wet the compost and/or seedlings. It doesn’t ‘batter’ them. When they are bigger, a fine rose on a watering can is fine. Don’t overwater them though - if they get waterlogged, they will rot.

Luckygirl Sun 03-Mar-19 09:58:34

I have a tiny watering can with a very fine rose on it, and I water from a height, so I was hoping that would be OK.

I may continue to need help down the line with my new babies!

Greyduster Sun 03-Mar-19 10:46:58

What seeds are you growing, Lucky? Some seeds are like dust when you sow them, and the seedlings are so tiny when they come through they are little more than a green haze on top of the compost. I try and avoid these as they are a b****r to prick out even as they grow. Hence the need for misting. The main thing with any seedlings though is not to waterlog them. I’m glad you seem to be enjoying your gardening!

Greyduster Sun 03-Mar-19 10:48:55

And if you are growing them indoors, make sure they get lots of light, or they will be “leggy”. (You probably knew that??).

Telly Sun 03-Mar-19 11:10:55

I have given up growing seeds inside. Just too much bother. However you will have to keep the compost just damp and of course turn them regularly otherwise they will grow towards the light. I am just about to order some seedlings for delivery in May. A bit less hassle! However I will grow rocket from seed and easy plants like marigold to fill up the gaps. Good luck!!

Luckygirl Sun 03-Mar-19 11:23:56

There are sweet peas, poppies, million bells, cosmos.

Greyduster Sun 03-Mar-19 11:32:18

Well, you’ll never have to buy cosmos seeds again, lucky!

Luckygirl Sun 03-Mar-19 12:19:41

Ah......pricking put - presumably putting them in bigger pots when they are ready to. How do you know when they are big enough? Do you still keep them indoors then until the weather warms up?

EllanVannin Sun 03-Mar-19 12:21:23

Seeds grown indoors do tend to grow quickly, but---- they also grow lanky and some sadly don't do so well unless planted outside undercover in a cloche or greenhouse.

Greyduster Sun 03-Mar-19 12:57:13

First you will have two seed leaves appear. Leave them, at this stage, until the first ‘true’ leaves appear (ie the ones that look like the proper plant leaves). At this stage, you should probably thin them out: remove weaker seedlings to give the stronger ones more room to grow. When you have a couple of pairs of strong ‘true’ leaves, you can usually prick them into small individual pots or plant cells and grow them on.