Gransnet forums

Gardening

Flowers for cutting?

(15 Posts)
CanadianGran Mon 25-Mar-19 22:32:17

I love to have fresh flowers from the garden, and would like to add more to my rather small shady garden.

I get nice big bouquets of peonies, lilacs in the spring, sweetpeas in early summer and helenium in late summer/fall. The small patch of lily of the valley are being coaxed along so I can make small posies.

What are your favourite flowers for cutting, and what is the bloom time? I'm thinking I need more mid and late summer so might plant some annuals.

J52 Mon 25-Mar-19 22:43:03

Michaelmas Daisies are good for cutting. They produce lots of spray flowers and are easy plants to look after. Although they do prefer as much sun as possible.

merlotgran Mon 25-Mar-19 22:47:35

I'm a huge fan of growing flowers for cutting. There are some really good YouTube videos from Sarah Raven, Georgie Newbery and others who have set up flower farms and are keen to pass on their knowledge to gardeners who want to create cutting patches.

Georgie Newbery of Common Farm Flowers has written a really good book giving month by month advice.

I don't really have any personal favourite flowers. I await them all with eager anticipation but yes, you will need plenty of annuals like cosmos, calendula, nigella, sweet peas, antirrhinums and many others.

merlotgran Mon 25-Mar-19 22:50:03

If you google annuals for shady gardens you should find plenty of information.

Chewbacca Mon 25-Mar-19 22:55:44

Albums will grow pretty much anywhere and look spectacular when cut fresh or when they've finished flowering and the flower heads are dried. You can spray the dried flower heads silver or gold for a Christmas flower arrangement too. Apologies for the word Christmas.

Chewbacca Mon 25-Mar-19 22:56:18

Not albums! aliums!

FountainPen Tue 26-Mar-19 08:11:23

I like Alchemilla Mollis both in the garden for its leaves which hold the raindrops but also for the frothy flowers which look lovely cut with English roses in summer.

J52 Tue 26-Mar-19 08:56:33

Oh Chewbacca I thought you’d discovered a new flower!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 26-Mar-19 09:01:39

I love the flowers which are out now in the Spring - I pick just a few muscari, primroses, Russian snowdrops, miniature daffodils, helebores and add a sprig of any greenery like box. It makes a small posy which I put into a little jug.

polyester57 Tue 26-Mar-19 17:47:31

Sorry, but I don´t like cut flowers at all. Once cut, they are already dead. Keep them in the garden .

CanadianGran Tue 26-Mar-19 19:13:04

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will add some snapdragons, cosmos and zinnias to my garden. I don't have a lot of room, and seem to remember once having cosmos and not realizing how tall they grew! But they are very pretty and frothy. Also some dahlias in pots.

MamaCaz Tue 26-Mar-19 20:15:34

I like dahlias for summer and autumn cutting. There are so many of them to choose from, and they flower their heads off over such a long period!

Lisagran Tue 26-Mar-19 20:56:13

Cosmos and zinnias are both favourites of mine. I love bringing flowers into the house; I like to bulk out bunches of flowers with Alchemilla Mollis (Lady’s mantle) and Astrantia.

Lisagran Tue 26-Mar-19 21:39:44

Roll on summer grin

CanadianGran Tue 26-Mar-19 22:11:25

LisaGran, those are beautiful... you inspire me. I had Ladies Mantle in the garden a few years ago, but somehow that patch was moved when the new fence went up.
I have some heuchera and astilbe that I use for filler, and also use hosta leaves but may re-plant some alchemilla.
Thanks for the tips!