Gransnet forums

Gardening

Leaning garden ..

(14 Posts)
rosecarmel Wed 27-Mar-19 14:18:27

One theory .. Might be erosion, that the rain slowly washes away soil down the slope, exposing more root, resulting in less support .. ?

rosecarmel Wed 27-Mar-19 14:13:18

EllanV I know what you mean! At another home closer to the coast I mowed at steep angles smile

rosecarmel Wed 27-Mar-19 14:03:59

I'm in the US, Midwest, lower lakes region - Unfortunately, I don't have any photos - And currently nothing is growing just yet since we just entered spring -

We've not seen others gardens do this - By Autumn, the majority of plants are angled as described -

EllanVannin Wed 27-Mar-19 13:44:32

When I lived in my previous house ( coastal ) nothing leaned but the 100ft lawn was in tiers which I used to mow going upwards, a hard task, and the only thing that leaned was me an hour later.

However there was a large clump of poppies at the top of one tier of lawn that stayed upright along with other tall flowers so it could be a coastal thing where, when the wind blows and whichever way the wind was blowing, one way and then another must have kept the plants upright. Like Weebles, they always sprang back.

Culag Wed 27-Mar-19 13:38:59

Which country are you in rosecarmel? That may not have any bearing at all, but I wondered at your mention of milkweed.
Plants grow towards the light, particularly if there is something restricting it from one direction.

Namsnanny Wed 27-Mar-19 13:35:31

Any chance of a photo to explain it a bit more?

rosecarmel Wed 27-Mar-19 13:16:41

They are not in pots, everything is in the ground ..

rosecarmel Wed 27-Mar-19 13:15:20

We are at about 365 meters above sea level, the land itself gently slopes down from North to South, the garden area is nearly flat (slightly slanted) and runs in length East to West, the house is south of the garden, behind the house drops down steep into a stream -

Hollyhock stalks lean at 45 degrees, as do gladiolus and milkweed .. When I lived closer the coast, in several different places, I didn't encounter this issue .. !!!

J52 Wed 27-Mar-19 07:18:58

All plants grow towards the sun, but yours do sound extreme. If they’re in pots it’s easy to turn them so they grow straight.
What aspect does your garden have? Our second home has a garden on a very steep hillside that is SW facing and we don’t have a the same problem. Only with the taller trees and that’s because of the prevailing coastal wind.

aggie Wed 27-Mar-19 07:14:21

We uxed to grow oats on southeast facing hills , never noticed any leaning

BlueBelle Wed 27-Mar-19 06:59:12

Well it must be the hill then

rosecarmel Wed 27-Mar-19 05:17:48

The grounde covers as well crawl towards the south - Its truly one of the most I usual gardening situations that I've ever encountered-

BlueBelle Wed 27-Mar-19 04:36:04

Sun loving plants do turn to lean to the sun that’s natural why don’t you plant smaller plants, not so many tall ones, more like ground cover and then they won’t do that

rosecarmel Wed 27-Mar-19 03:24:02

All the plants in the garden lean toward the sun, like all grew at a 45 degree ang!e or more - It makes for a crooked garden, some stuff needing to be supported due to weight - We live on a hill, and it's the only place I ever lived that the garden plants did this - Does this happen to you? Do you think the hill has anything to do with how the sun hits it? Any scientists in the house? smile