Gransnet forums

Gardening

Mulch for the garden

(12 Posts)
jeanie99 Sun 31-Mar-19 16:01:20

Never quite sure what to use as a mulch.
I have a border area which seems to dry out very quickly, in hot weather the plants droop and I need to water.
My thought was to cover the soil with something organic to prevent the soil drying out and save me time.
I've used potting compost from my tubs when re potting my tub plants but this didn't seem to made any difference.

aggie Sun 31-Mar-19 16:45:48

You need fresh wet , or damp compost . The stuff out of pots is dry and too dusty to stay put

loopyloo Sun 31-Mar-19 17:10:25

I like Strulch. Easy to handle and organic.

Day6 Sun 31-Mar-19 17:15:28

Watched Monty on (catch up) Gardeners' World mulch a bed this morning.

He was using bark chippings as a weed suppressant but did say the compost we make (or OH makes) is absolutely fine but needs to be at least two inches thick around plants.

I used to dig in lots of well rotten manure (bought in bags) when I tended my own garden and it did help with moisture retention but after good watering or rainfall I'd use bark chippings to mulch, or fine gravel around the tops of pots.

Fennel Sun 31-Mar-19 17:15:31

It's the wrong time of the year, but rotted dead leaves makes a good compost.
Also grass cuttings - it's nearly time for the first cut. Ours is already growing.
Cow manure is good too, but only for some plants.
I would say grass cuttings the best bet.

merlotgran Sun 31-Mar-19 17:33:37

If the border is dry I water before mulching with our own garden compost. A good thick layer of composted bark chippings goes on top to supress the weeds.

FlexibleFriend Sun 31-Mar-19 17:36:08

I use my garden shredder to produce mulch, all the clippings from shrubs and trees go through the shredder to produce lovely mulch and it means I don't have to take them to the tip. If I need more mulch, not often these days but if I do I use Bark chippings.

ninathenana Sun 31-Mar-19 20:57:02

Are you in the North Fennel ?
DH has already mown our lawns 2-3 times this year.

Chewbacca Sun 31-Mar-19 21:21:05

Over time, bark chippings can affect the acidity in the soil so it's a good idea to use other mulches too .

M0nica Sun 31-Mar-19 21:33:59

I use grass clippings, a good no-cost solution.

Vonners Sun 31-Mar-19 21:35:35

I use stuff thats been thro the garden shredder too plus compost made with our 'Hotbin' composter. I recall Monty Don saying the ground should always be wet before applying a mulch.

Fennel Mon 01-Apr-19 09:21:54

Yes Nina - but we haven't got a mower yet. Less than a year here and we sold our siton before we moved.