Gransnet forums

Gardening

Lady birds

(14 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 03-Apr-19 14:42:36

I have been doing some weeding this morning and noticed i have lots and lots of ladybirds in my spring garden. Does anyone know if there is an influx of them this spring or is it that i am growing the right flowers to attract them.Sp pleased to see their bright red little bodies amongst my flowers.smile

Nandalot Wed 03-Apr-19 14:53:38

We always seem to get an influx in early Spring. However, they then seem to disappear and are nowhere to be seen once the greenfly come out!

Coolgran65 Wed 03-Apr-19 14:56:25

I haven't seen any yet, up North, and it's pretty cold today.

bikergran Wed 03-Apr-19 15:29:23

dd has got them in her letterbox again...up North. they must have been over 100 last year hiding in the letterbox..we kept finding them in the hallway.

NanaandGrampy Wed 03-Apr-19 16:06:49

Bishy Barnabies you mean ??

The big kids were here for Mother’s Day and collected quite a few , as they are alive and well and living in Norfolk !?

shysal Wed 03-Apr-19 16:06:53

I haven't seen a single one yet this year. I hope their appearance will coincide with the aphids.

Greyduster Wed 03-Apr-19 17:30:34

They have been much in evidence here, both outside and inside (!) the house. They seem to like my camellia flowers at the moment, but I am hoping they will move on to the plum tree once the fruit starts setting like they did last year, and eat the aphids. There are some harlequin ladybirds about too.

Ilovecheese Wed 03-Apr-19 17:32:07

Lots of them here in Manchester, also inside as well as outside the house.

matson Wed 03-Apr-19 18:34:27

Lots of them on Friday last in teesside

jeanie99 Wed 03-Apr-19 19:43:48

Lots in my garden also red admiral butterfly's, wonderful.

Nanabilly Wed 03-Apr-19 21:58:54

Are they the British ladybird or those stinky foreign ones that can carry syphilis .They have more spots than our British ones apparently and they are quickly depleting our own . October 2017 we had swarms of them living in our caravan window seals and the stench was vile. You have to kill them not move them on to some place else.

Vonners Thu 04-Apr-19 00:24:22

I'm in Devon, saw just one this week.

crazyH Thu 04-Apr-19 00:34:36

My son had own army of them. Sign of good luck, I believe

gmelon Thu 04-Apr-19 01:07:01

I've been "looking after" a couple that were on my bedroom windowsill.
Until I decided to gently encourage them out the window.
They were as dead as a crispy dead thing and from last year. Probably fallen out of the curtains.