Gransnet forums

Gardening

Acknowledging estimates for garden work

(10 Posts)
shandi6570 Thu 04-Apr-19 08:57:26

I have had three estimates for work in our garden. Should I acknowledge the ones I am not using and say why, or is it usual to not do anything unless I get a call from them?

Politeness tells me to send a message, but I don't want to open myself up to further discussion on the matter as I have made my decision, but am easily swayed confused.

HildaW Thu 04-Apr-19 09:33:05

That's the joy of e-mails. A polite non committal 'no thanks' is all that's needed if you really feel you have to reply. To be honest most firms work on the presumption that if they do not hear back then the work has gone elsewhere.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 04-Apr-19 09:36:14

I agree with Hilda - if they don't hear back within a reasonable amount of time they will accept that the job has gone to someone else.

shandi6570 Thu 04-Apr-19 10:37:39

Thank you both. I will leave well alone. smile

Alima Thu 04-Apr-19 10:38:58

I am glad you asked this shandi, have the same dilemma over roofing quotes.

NanaandGrampy Thu 04-Apr-19 13:09:14

I always email back . If they have gone to the trouble of coming out and sending a written quote then it seems rude not to reply . A simple thank you but we aren’t moving forward on your quite is good enough .

shandi6570 Thu 04-Apr-19 13:15:31

You make a good point N&G, now I'm thinking that I should send a quick e-mail.

When did I get so indecisive and wishy washy, is this a part of getting older? Not keen on it at all. I've probably got too much time on my hands nowadays so instead of a quick decision and moving on I mull it over....and over....and over.

shandi6570 Thu 04-Apr-19 13:37:15

Okay, I've sent an e-mail saying no, but thanks for taking the time, blah blah.

What have you decided to do Alima? Glad I have helped someone else. Also makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one to dither grin

Anja Thu 04-Apr-19 13:47:02

Yes, it’s only polite if they have gone to the bother of giving you an estimate. It also means if the estimate you accepted was not to standard you might prefer to use one of the others next time.

Alima Thu 04-Apr-19 14:02:10

I have emailed. Seems only fair as he was only one of two out of five who bothered to respond to our request for a quote. (A few years ago we were looking for fencing quotes so contacted three fencers. The phone rang, “ Are you Mr Fencer?” says I. “Wot, ‘ave you asked ‘im too” says he and slams the phone down. Since then I’ve always been in a dilemma over tradesmen!)