Gransnet forums

Gardening

Ponsietta

(4 Posts)
Greenfinch Mon 08-Apr-19 12:13:04

I manage to keep mine by standing it on the kitchen window sill(which doesn't catch the sun ). I water it sparingly and occasionally add some coffee grains to the soil. The new leaves turn red but are a lot smaller than the original ones.Any tips?

BradfordLass72 Mon 08-Apr-19 11:48:51

I understand that putting a Poinsettia in the dark spurs the colour as they need long, dark nights to flower.

My Mum used to put hers in the dark pantry when she went to bed and only bring it out 12+ hours later...it never failed.

FountainPen Mon 08-Apr-19 09:38:22

Water sparingly. They like himidity so mist and feed monthly with a low nitrogen, high potassium fertiliser.

Advice from the RHS here about how to get plants to colour up for next Christmas though, as you will read, commercial producers use a growth suppressant to keep plants compact so you should expect a leggier plant.

www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=146

travelsafar Mon 08-Apr-19 08:52:48

I had one of the above a t Christmas. Usually these die off no matter what i do and they end up in the compost bin. But this time i have been lucky. All the original leaves died off but new ones appeared , so far so good. I keep it on the windowsill above a radiator and water it once a week as it dries out due to the heat. Really hoping i can keep it going and that it rewards me with red foliage in December this year. Anyone got any tips on keeping these plants healthy and prolonging their life.