Gransnet forums

Gardening

Gardening is so satisfying

(136 Posts)
Grammaretto Thu 11-Apr-19 18:07:23

I intended to do housework today but ended up in the garden. The weather was perfect. I transplanted a couple of potbound shrubs. Pruned some unruly others. Mowed the grass for the first time this year. I had company. Plenty of birds and a deer running through.
I'm tired but happy.

Grammaretto Thu 27-Jun-19 07:54:10

Not yet 2, our DGD placed the bedding plants all around the half barrel which is her raised bed. It looked so pretty. I know she has a future as a garden designer. Her big sister has already learned about weeding and pulling out the sticky willy.

Resurgam123 Thu 27-Jun-19 07:02:30

This year I have acquired some penstemmon I have never tried before . They are lovely

My three year old "Gentle Hermione" pink roses and my yellow" Graham Thomas" are really beautiful this year .
It has taken about three years for the roses to get established.

I am another garden fan.

Resurgam123 Thu 27-Jun-19 06:53:16

Lisagran . That is lovely you seem also seem to have aquired a lot of plant pots.

PageTurner Wed 26-Jun-19 00:45:55

*lemongrove*, this is Copper. He loves to ride on the tractor with DH. He is quite a character and loves everyone to pet him. He comes running when he hears the cat treat bag being opened.

Your poppies are beautiful.
I planted poppy seeds about a month ago and no sight of any sprouts. Because they are a perennial, will they not come up until next year? Or just maybe the seeds were washed away in all the rain we've had this month.

jura2 Tue 25-Jun-19 21:27:45

just too hot for gardening - so just spent time watering as soon as sun was down - wow scorchio.

lemongrove Tue 25-Jun-19 21:24:18

Has anyone had any success with growing meconopsis from seed?

lemongrove Mon 24-Jun-19 21:48:52

I agree, lovely pics ( and I want a cat just like pageturner has!)
Here are some multi coloured poppies we sowed.

Mapleleaf Mon 24-Jun-19 20:35:22

There are some stunning gardens here. Keep posting the pictures!

PageTurner Sat 15-Jun-19 13:46:18

My dream is to have a garden as beautiful as all that have been posted here. Hollyhocks are very pretty but they take over. I've had to vigorously dig up roots to keep control of them. I planted "Dwarf Hollihock" seeds this year which are only 3-5 feet instead of 12 feet tall. Same with the Hops on the fence. They grow lik e crazy. That's DH's job to keep them cut back.
None of the plants are "exotic". My favorites are purple petunias and Gladiolas. Petunias just keep blooming all summer, if you deadhead them and they love the hot sun.

I, too, go for the plants that are in the emergency ward at the garden center. I have two Pointella that I nursed back to health.
Thanks for posting all the beautiful photos everyone.

Luckygirl Sat 15-Jun-19 12:55:20

Lovely photos!

Luckygirl Sat 15-Jun-19 12:54:32

Gardening would be satisfying if the blessed rain would stop long enough for me to get out there and do anything!!! grin

shysal Sat 15-Jun-19 12:47:27

Pansies are reaching the end of their season at this time of year, doubt whether they would come back if you cut them hard, just keep dead heading and enjoy what you have.

travelsafar Sat 15-Jun-19 11:54:05

My Pansises have gone all 'leggy' should i just cut them all back even though they have flowers still or just leave them. Anyone ever done this???

shysal Sat 15-Jun-19 11:17:46

Lovely pictures PageTurner. Looks like you have a slope to contend with as I do. I have one lonely Hollyhock, pinched from the roadside, but hope they will spread. I did scatter thousands of seeds last year but they failed to germinate.

Lisagran Sat 15-Jun-19 10:50:27

Some “trimmings” from the garden......

Beechnut Sat 15-Jun-19 07:50:07

Lovely photos everyone ?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 15-Jun-19 07:36:14

The bloomin’ weather driving me mad, if it’s not rain it’s high winds. My poor roses are getting bruised, the good thing is that I staked the Delphs really well and they are fine.

If I can I’m going out into the garden today and cutting back and tying in ( must get more garden string)
Mind you going into the garden itself is a minefield as I’ve parent seagulls to contend with?

Lisagran Sat 15-Jun-19 06:56:00

Wonderful hollyhocks, PageTurner - they won’t grow here sad

absent Sat 15-Jun-19 06:00:16

My gardening is somewhat hit and miss – even empirical –but I am good at weeding. I have quite nimble fingers and, as I go with the dandelions, buffalo grass and chickweed, my mind wanders in all sorts of interesting directions so the process is almost Zen. Then my neighbour starts playing Black Sabbath – at high volume.

BlueBelle Sat 15-Jun-19 05:19:25

Could you have a raised bed made so you can sit to do some planting and weeding Anniebach I can’t even wear gloves I love to feel the soil and weeds and plants in my fingers I d miss that so much if I couldn’t do it

PageTurner Sat 15-Jun-19 05:09:33

Yay, it worked. Here's another one.

PageTurner Sat 15-Jun-19 05:04:31

I'm trying again to post a photo of my garden from last year. I just finished planting on June 10th due a cold rainy spring. Seeds are sprouting but today we had a severe thunderstorm with lots of rain again.
I'm not going to expect much so I won't be disappointed if I have a failure this year.
Hopefully this photo posts today, otherwise I'm giving up.?

shysal Fri 14-Jun-19 15:54:28

The poppies are a pale lilac, not very striking. They came into the bed when it was my veg plot, but I always left a few to flower. I have scattered seeds elsewhere many times without success.

J52 Fri 14-Jun-19 15:29:56

Lisagran thanks, I don’t know the name of the clematis, I’ve had it so long!
There’s 3 in the large planter, one is a large whitish pink, I think is Miss Bates. It has already flowered, but might come back later. There are two in the photo, a light and darker mauve.
Other clematis around the garden are also doing well, despite the rain.
Shysal, yes it was my suggestion, I’m so pleased it’s worked out for you. The planting looks lovely, it’s so satisfying when rescue plants do well.
I’m jealous of your large poppies, they won’t grown in my garden, despite the neighbour having them! I must try again.
More rain here now, ugh!

Lisagran Fri 14-Jun-19 15:19:02

I chopped all of mine back like mad last year and it seems to have given them a boost this year