Gransnet forums

Gardening

carnation plants

(4 Posts)
travelsafar Mon 15-Apr-19 14:16:17

I have a plant which i grew from a cutting in a bouquet i recieved a couple of years ago.I have it in a pot and suddenly it has taken off, it is spindly and has lots of off shoots. There are buds forming too. I have kept in the unheated greenhouse all winter and wrapped it in bubble wrap during the winter months.Can i now put it in the garden?If so shade or sunshine.Also can i take cuttings from the off shoots to make new plants.This has sentiment attached as it was from a bouquet my youngest boy sent me on Mothers Day two years ago and i would hate to loose it by doing something wrong at this stage.

Gonegirl Mon 15-Apr-19 14:23:40

I would put it out still in pot in the daytime only for a couple of weeks, and then plant it in full sun. I would wait until the growing season takes off in about June to pot up the planters. You can peg those little planters down in the ground whilst still on plant. If you keep them watered they may root.

My carnations stay out through the winter. They are hardy. But I appreciate you want to give this one extra care.

Gonegirl Mon 15-Apr-19 14:24:33

Plantlets not planters.

travelsafar Mon 15-Apr-19 16:45:31

thank you for the info GoneGirl i never knew you could do that to propgate more plants. I will have a go when the weather warms up more. flowers