Gransnet forums

Gardening

Advice about roses, please.

(19 Posts)
Nandalot Thu 18-Apr-19 11:20:14

We have never had much success with roses. I have been given two healthy looking, highly scented roses in pots for planting out I the garden.Do you have any advice about their planting/ care to help me avoid them becoming a straggly bug infested mess? Thank you.

Greyduster Thu 18-Apr-19 11:55:44

They sound lovely, Nandalot. Apart from making sure there is plenty of rotted compost or similar in the hole when you plant them out, I wish I knew more about pruning them. In spite of having to hand the RHS manual of pruning and training, I am still of the “shut your eyes and go for it” school of pruning. It seems to work for mine, but I wouldn’t recommend it!?

craftyone Fri 19-Apr-19 05:42:36

get some micro fungi into the digging hole and just don`t let them get too top heavy until they have had a chance to get roots down. Still time to prune, go right down to a low outward facing bud or shoot and don`t forget to water, the ground is dry right now

Specs Fri 19-Apr-19 06:05:49

Plenty of good utube videos Really simple to follow cus they’re visual. If it’s a potted rose it’s probably already pruned. Watch how the stems grow this summer. Look out for emerging growth or buds and just watch how they grow. Watch which side of the stem they emerge from and in which direction they point. It’s important to know that for future pruning. Pruning as well as feeding will prevent straggly weak roses. Prune and feed each year and you will have masses of flower heads in subsequent years. Good luck.

Telly Fri 19-Apr-19 08:19:03

Prune once a year, February to march. Cut back to an outward facing bud. Dig a big hole, plant with a mix of compost and soil. I always put in a handful of multi purpose feed. Brush off any green fly and enjoy!

littleflo Fri 19-Apr-19 08:32:04

Strangely bug infested mess is oven caused by lack of light and air. Don’t plant them too close to other plants so that air can circulate. I prune my roses hard in November, then shape them if required in Spring.

Don’t plant them where previous roses have failed and ensure that any infested leaves are kept away from the soil.

Dig a deep hole and fill with good quality compost. For new roses I use the compost with the slow release fertiliser. Be wary of over feeding a Rose. I never feed directly mine as I find it makes them have a growth spurt without flowers. In March I mulch them with compost.

Nandalot Fri 19-Apr-19 10:47:47

Thank you all for the advice. They are going in today in a ugnhole, with compost, soil and slow release fertiliser. I am going to water the hole before and water them after. Fingers crossed!

CatherineClifford Sat 20-Apr-19 10:22:29

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

aggie Sat 20-Apr-19 10:31:42

shock gulp shock

Greyduster Sun 21-Apr-19 09:21:46

Not the Slash, Spray and Hope for the Best school of rose growing, then??. I knew I had been doing it wrong all these years! Sound advice, Catherine! Glad someone knows what they are doing?!

loopyloo Sun 21-Apr-19 10:17:17

25 to 300 C??? And my roses withstand below freezing in the winter. Mind you it's a bit late to plant for this year but throw them in prune them and keep them well watered..

Callistemon Sun 21-Apr-19 10:23:16

I think that is an advert CatherineClifford!

Nandalot if they are in pots it should be OK to plant them out now - roses like clay soil best I think - but they do like manure or that shrub compost/feeder which you can buy in bags and yes, keep them watered although they will probably be OK once established, unless there is a drought.
You could trim them very lightly now but then prune them quite hard some time between November and March. DH always thinks I am too ruthless with the pruning, but they seem to bounce back again.
You can spray them with soapy water if you see any bugs on them eg greenfly, or just wipe them off.

MaizieD Sun 21-Apr-19 10:45:56

Looks like an advert to me, too Callistemon. You've beaten me to it.. grin

jura2 Sun 21-Apr-19 11:04:55

loopyloo- I brought some of my David Austen roses over to the Swiss mountains when we moved from the East Midlands, and a few others as our house was previously owned by a rose grower. I was quite worried, as we get very cold temps here and tons of snow (in the Jura, hence ...) but they have adapted so well. I've planted them sa close to the south wall as I could, but they still get totally covered and disappear. I double prune them, in the autumn so that the weight of snow does not split them, and then mid April. The only thing that has happened is that the flowers are much smaller here- and that is fine.

craftyone Thu 16-May-19 09:15:33

Happy me, my David Austin Rose's will arrive today, shrub Rose's in pots as I have just moved in and font want to miss a season. The ground is perfect, the clay soil is warm and damp, it has had mulch on top. Fungi and bone meal are ready, 12 plants to fill in all the space right across the front of my new house, all behind a short lavender hedge that I planted yesterday. I am having the time of my life, still in the money allowance i calculated for moving and settling in costs. Medium pink and white Rose's, 6 of each and i will mix them up. I made sure to get 3 foot tall and the most disease resistant and all with scent

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-May-19 09:26:46

craftyone. I am jealous.

I have really no more room, but am planning a standard Rose by moving some delphiniums and another one for a pot. But all will be done in the autumn.

I think the roses this year will be spectacular in everyone’s garden. They all seem to be heaving with buds and two of mine have already flowering since the beginning of May.

craftyone Tue 21-May-19 18:18:02

Top soil hid horrors, I had dug small holes and the soil had seemed good, until I had to dig deep for the roses. 6 on each side of the house front, first 6 went in well, into individual beds of rotted manure compost, bonemeal and fungi. Number 7 went in well and then I hit a nightmare, I hit sand, ok I thought, I will take this sand out but the pit became bigger and bigger and deep and I uncovered cement and lumps of render and not a single earthworm. Poisoned ground. I eventually reached some sort of soil base, albeit poor and my back was weary with all that carrying of bucket after bucket to the nearby builders dump. Luckily I had already been given permission to take top soil, so I did, several barrows full

The other 5 roses went in, next day I went to buy horse compost, sedge peat and composted bark. I have to get those worms back and I put 8 bags on as mulch with composted bark on top. Then I watered and crossed my fingers and I have watered religiously every day and my roses are still alive and seem to be doing well. Three hours turned into 8 hours that day. The ground is not waterlogged underneath and I think will survive, as long as the worms come back to help till the soil. I had 6 Olivia rose (pink) and 6 of Susan Williams Ellis (white) and I have mixed them and given the two sides a short lavender border of lavender little lady

I was very disappointed when I found that poisonous underground dump. My roses on the allotment are looking spectacular whitewave, covered in buds and the pink rose in the centre is superb, just like in a picture book. They seem to thrive in prolonged hot weather

David0205 Tue 21-May-19 19:42:36

Some roses are tough some are delicate and I find the scented ones are the more delicate and need more care. I dont buy container grown roses to plant out, bare root planted in autumn I find works better, cheaper too.
Roses don’t like competition from other plants, give them space, use a slow release fertilizer, to stop aphids and brown spot you will need chemicals of some kind, deadhead them after flowering, prune them in the autumn.

If you are planting container grown roses now give them lots and lots of care a few days without water will finish them!

Resurgam123 Tue 25-Jun-19 07:59:17

I have some lovely yellow roses , "Graham Thomas " which has pleasantly taken over my trellis, and also three "Gentlle Hermione" bushes which seem to be talked about on the TV garden programs.

I had not grown roses before. They do seem to take some time to establish.