Gransnet forums

Gardening

Apple blossom time

(15 Posts)
Washerwoman Mon 22-Apr-19 20:53:06

Our blossoms on the apples and pear tree are beautiful. But so was the striking looking bullfinch that visited before when we had bumper blossoms.So our crop was much reduced.Will take our chances as not going to net them.He was a very handsome fella!

Teetime Mon 22-Apr-19 19:45:58

We went to Burrough Wood Ratby Leicester today the blubells were stunning. Carpets and carpets of them beautiful.

Cherrytree59 Mon 22-Apr-19 17:23:09

Our apple blossom has been wonderful this spring.
Even on an old apple tree that usually only makes a half hearted attempt has been heavily laden with blossom.

The bees are working overtime, buzzing around all our blossom trees.

However the wind has got up this afternoon and it looks like we have had a wedding in the garden!
We have a confetti of pale pink and dark pink petals all over the lawn.
Alexa has warned of a thunderstorm

Greyduster Mon 22-Apr-19 16:00:56

The blossom on my plum tree has gone now, leaving lots of little potential plums, but the sparrows have been all over it the past couple of days. I can’t make out whether they are eating insects or fledgling plums! If it is the latter, there will be all out war! Lots of apple trees round here; all heavy with blossom.

Beechnut Mon 22-Apr-19 15:33:47

I’ve got some lovely blossom too. Last year I had very little and not a single apple. I’ve been out to see the bluebells in the wood today.

GrandmaJan Mon 22-Apr-19 14:33:19

I’m in the NE and our 2 year old Cox’s Orange Pippen has beautiful blossom.

crazyH Mon 22-Apr-19 14:26:48

My apple blossoms are stunning ....it's the first thing I see when I open my blinds in the morning. And then, my neighbour directly opposite has a beautiful cherry blossom tree. I get two for the price of one. Spring is the most beautiful time of year and even the wild bluebells look so pretty. My neighbour's border is full of them (bluebells).

MaizieD Mon 22-Apr-19 14:12:43

Apple blossom hasn't dared show its face yet, here in the NE, but my Victoria plum tree is in full bloom and I'm crossing my fingers that we won't have any frosts before they are fertilised.

All the hedgerows have been white with Blackthorn blossom for weeks now. Sadly, though, we never get good crops of sloes. Is this an effect of the use of bee killing pesticides, I wonder?

Lisagran Mon 22-Apr-19 13:54:15

Yes, it’s a good year for blossom - fingers crossed for our apples!

ninathenana Mon 22-Apr-19 13:23:44

Our ornamental weeping cherry was smothered in blossom a week or two ago. It's all gone now and the foliage is all out.
Seems it's a good year for blossom.

midgey Mon 22-Apr-19 12:06:10

My pear and cherry trees were on a warning, if they didn’t perform this year they were going! It’s worked! Both trees covered on blossom. It does look so very pretty.

hdh74 Mon 22-Apr-19 10:37:30

We have a few fruit trees, all blossoming well.

kittylester Mon 22-Apr-19 09:48:52

Our crabapple is coming on a treat too, Teetime.

Sara65 Mon 22-Apr-19 09:25:44

On a slightly different note, the delicious scent of lilac is filling the whole garden, I love it!

Teetime Mon 22-Apr-19 09:14:51

The blossom on my James Grieve is stupendous this year the best ever. Last year the Beast from the East blew it away before it had time to 'set' so very few apples last year. I am hoping for a bumper crop and that our lovely British orchards are the same so looking forward to lots of crumble this winter and autumn. The pear tree is the same. smile