Gransnet forums

Gardening

Hardening off bedding plants

(5 Posts)
Liz46 Thu 02-May-19 09:28:27

Even if they grow towards the light, they will soon correct themselves when you are able to put them outside.

In the very strong winds recently one of my stock plants was blown over sideways and I wondered whether to dig it up and maybe plant it deeper to give it some support. I couldn't make up my mind and when I looked at it a few days later, it had popped back up!

I've never seen new leaves on trees ripped into bits by the wind before. Our glass conservatory roof was covered in bits of leaf and there were bits of leaf on the pavements etc.

J52 Thu 02-May-19 08:28:42

I’d leave them indoors. Do you have someone to water them?
If not put them in a tray on a bed of gravel that has water in it. Or on a bed of wet capillary matting.
Another option is to get a small plastic green house ( Wilkos)
and put them in there. Well watered.
Over Easter my bi annuals that we’re in an open cold frame suffered because it was too hot! Not something I’d expected.

Liz46 Thu 02-May-19 07:43:40

The forecast is not too good so I would leave them indoors.

jacq10 Wed 01-May-19 22:58:54

I was in the same situation two weeks ago when heading to Spain for 5 days. I had bought a few trays of bedding plants but felt it was a bit too early to pot them up as I live in the north of Scotland. Decided to find a sheltered spot in the garden, left them in the trays and they were fine when I came home. I gave them a good watering before I left. Depending on where you live and the weather forecast you should be okay to put them out now in May. Have been busy potting up over the last couple of days.

Howjado Wed 01-May-19 22:49:34

Last weekend I purchased my bedding plants from a local nursery, where they were being stored under cover. Every day I put them out in the sunshine and bring them into the house overnight. This weekend I am going away for four days. Would you leave them in the house, knowing they will grow towards the light or put them outside and hope the weather in not too harsh? I live in the East Midlands