Gransnet forums

Gardening

Climbers in Pots ?

(15 Posts)
Anniebach Mon 06-May-19 16:37:38

Have a new fence , so cold and bare ,

There is a path running the length of if. Are there any climbers I could plant in some large pots ?

Telly Mon 06-May-19 18:27:11

You can plant anything in a pot if it's big enough. I have clematis and climbing roses in troughs going up a trellis. The other good thing about a big pot is that they hold more water. Ours are on a watering system for the summer.

mcem Mon 06-May-19 19:10:18

I love clematis montana. Very vigorous and needs firm handling.

Callistemon Mon 06-May-19 19:23:34

My neighbour has climbing plants in very large pots - as long as they are watered and occasionally fed they will be fine.
Clematis, honeysuckle etc.

Our clematis montanas (not in pots) are just wonderful at the moment but they will be over soon. Perhaps a June flowering one might be more suitable? Some flower in June and again in September.

We also have a climbing hydrangea which has lovely flowers.

A summer flowering jasmine?

Anniebach Tue 07-May-19 08:33:51

Thank you all. I have many shrubs in pots but have always planted climbers in the ground. The fence is so ugly.

Resurgam123 Fri 17-May-19 08:43:04

We removed a lot of the lelandii on our side of a big fence.

It is now covered with two C. Montanas and a rambling Rector

OH did the chopping and I spent ages gathering up the leylandii.

Anniebach Fri 17-May-19 09:15:29

Problem solved, have found a really nice gardener, he said he will take up one of the slabs in the useless path and plant a climber, thank you all x

Gonegirl Fri 17-May-19 09:29:18

Much the best idea. smile

Anniebach Fri 17-May-19 10:04:21

I feel a plonker for not thinking of it blush

Gonegirl Fri 17-May-19 10:04:50

I wouldn't have thought of it!

Anniebach Fri 17-May-19 10:16:34

So I am not a plonker or we are both plonkers? grin, the former definitely

EllanVannin Fri 17-May-19 12:19:58

I love trailing geraniums, they give a lovely colour display and are also hardy plants-----well mine are anyway as at the moment they're covered in buds with just one or two in flower. In large pots/tubs.

HildaW Fri 17-May-19 15:50:32

We have experimented with roses as in previous garden soil was poor where we wanted an arch. DH found some clever devices that act as a reservoir at the bottom of a deep pot so that we could keep them watered. We planted 3 David Austen climbers that were recommended by their staff when we visited their gardens (Gorgeous, well worth a visit). They have done very well and have even survived the move ...they sit in their pots in the garden awaiting the new landscaping.

Luckygirl Fri 17-May-19 18:03:13

I have clematis, honeysuckle and jasmine in tubs and doing well.

Mapleleaf Sun 19-May-19 14:52:18

Me, too, Luckygirl and some roses.