Gransnet forums

Gardening

Advice for balcony planters please

(8 Posts)
Doodle Tue 07-May-19 11:11:18

Help! Some trees have recently been cut down? which now leaves our balcony overlooking a derelict building. We are thinking of buying some ‘bridge’ planters (they sit astride the balcony railing and clip on). They have water reservoir bits at the bottom and are quite big in size. (We don’t want containers on the floor as space is limited)
I would like to plant something on one side that would hang down and provide a bit of cover and something the other side that would flower and give a little height (to block the view). I can kill a plant by looking at it so would be grateful for any suggestions of what I could plant in my containers that would cope well in a planter but not need expert hands to make it grow. Any advice welcome. ?

DoraMarr Tue 07-May-19 11:22:18

I have a balcony, but I’m not allowed bridge planters because they are considered unsafe. I have some flowering plants in pots, a herb garden made from an old water feature, and some long narrow containers containing strawberry plants and tomatoes. Later I will plant peas. That gives me enough cover for privacy, although as I’m on the fifth floor that isn’t really a problem. You could look into a trellis laid sideways with climbing plants such as honeysuckle, climbing geranium, morning glory and ivy. Herbs and flowering plants such as geraniums, petunias and marigolds will all work in bridge planters, but check with your landlord/leaseholder.

Doodle Tue 07-May-19 11:42:52

Thanks doramarr. Good advice. We are only on the second floor and no walkways underneath. These planters are quite secure and we have no restrictions. We want to keep the floor of the balcony clear as we like to sit there and it is quite narrow which is why we are looking at planters for the railings.

aggie Tue 07-May-19 11:46:23

Trailing geraniums are great in the summer , ivies climb or trail , whichever way you train them and are evergreen, variegated give good interest

shysal Tue 07-May-19 11:56:33

Tidal Wave petunias climb as well as trail so they could be trained up a framework of some sort at the back and trail at the front. On Gardeners World they recommended the F1 Red Velour. I have grown some from seed but the plants are not yet hardened off. Tidal wave petunia

Gonegirl Tue 07-May-19 12:05:23

Nasturtiums are nice. The climbing ones would happily hang down. You could plant pot marigolds in with them. Would give a lovely sunny look.

shysal Tue 07-May-19 19:09:22

If you are interested in the Tidal Wave petunias, I have just seen them advertised on Ideal World garden bargains. The item number is 346 673. 24 jumbo plugs for £14.99 plus £4.99 P&P. I have ordered some more for my 3 tier basket and fence planters.

Doodle Tue 07-May-19 19:39:18

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. DH and I both had fathers who were keen gardeners and knew all about plants but somehow the gardening gene missed us both. Your advice and suggestions much appreciated. Have looked at the link shysal. They are beautiful. ?