Gransnet forums

Gardening

Summer bedding, anyone bought it yet?

(40 Posts)
lemongrove Thu 09-May-19 16:56:39

Just bought and planted out some lovely Summer bedding,
Anyone else done it yet, it is a bit earlier than we usually plant out, but going to be busy next week so decided to get on with it.Bought mainly pelargoniums and million bells with a few petunias.
Also, for those of you with photinias in your garden.....have they flowered this year?We have quite a few of these shrubs, some were planted about seven years ago, others three years ago, and they have flowered prolifically for the first time this year.They look fantastic.

Resurgam123 Thu 16-May-19 09:01:06

Yes I thought Nemesia.

Overthehills Sun 12-May-19 22:12:00

Great idea Jacq10 - I love a recycling project. We’re in the north of Scotland too but I haven’t started any summer pots yet - I’d better get started by the sound of things!

M0nica Sun 12-May-19 21:28:58

I bought a lot of plants from our local horticultural college in France and brought them home with me. Most are vegetable and herb plants, although I did buy some striking begonias with dark leaves and white flowers.

We came back to the UK last night and they stayed in the car overnight, but I hurriedly got all the tender vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, aubergine)s into the green house today and from the herbs left outside, brought the basil into the house overnight.

This weather is crazy, we were in Belgium in mid-March eating outside in cafe and restaurant gardens in shirtsleeves and getting a tan. In May in France eating outside has been a completely impossible, it has been far too cold and we lit the stove in our living room every evening.

mcem Sun 12-May-19 21:20:11

I only have tubs and window boxes. Bought lots of beautiful bedding plants from b&q 2 weeks ago. All planted up and thriving. Trailing petunias, fuchsias and geraniums plus standard ones. All pinks and purples.
For the first time I've planted gladioli and they're doing well.
Let's post some pic's in a few weeks!

Fennel Sun 12-May-19 20:54:51

This is our first spring in our house in the NE, and I'm amazed at what has sprouted up in our back garden. There's no room for anything else, unless I uproot some of the old stagers,
The main ones, on the sunny side, are roses, peonies, wild aquilegias and yellow poppies.
On the opposite side things don't thrive so well so I'm thinking of trying a few veg - beetroot and lettuce and spring onions..

shysal Sun 12-May-19 20:37:01

jacq10, what a good idea, it looks great. I think I may copy you.

Gonegirl Sun 12-May-19 20:28:21

Only bedding plants I do are pansies and violas. Prefer perennials.

Gonegirl Sun 12-May-19 20:23:36

Why do I keep thinking this is going to be about duvets?!

annodomini Sun 12-May-19 20:13:56

My plants arrived before I expected them but I don't think they'll be in danger from frost now. They are lovely healthy looking plants. I now need to get the pots ready for them. A few may go into beds.

phoenix Sun 12-May-19 19:52:33

Currently just have a few pots and 1 hanging basket planted up.

I chose the plants (and colours) for the pots, let Mr P loose on the ones for the hanging basket, if it all flowers well, I may have to either hand out sunglasses, or provide a bowl for visitors to be sick in!

jacq10 Sun 12-May-19 19:38:47

Thanks aggie - at my back door. You might have guessed that was last year. I have just started planting it up for this year as I am in the north of Scotland and it has been so cold and could see snow on hills up to yesterday but today was glorious although still a cold wind but no frost so here goes!!!

aggie Sun 12-May-19 19:10:00

Jacq10 that is a lovely display !

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-May-19 19:08:32

I don’t do bedding - not terribly keen, but I do plant up a couple of pots following the spring display. They’ve been planted up a while now and just coming into flower.

jacq10 Sun 12-May-19 16:50:12

My three tier planter comes in the shape of a very sturdy pan holder. When we downsized there was no room in the new kitchen for it but luckily it moved with us (to the garage!) and last year I painted it black and bought three nice ceramic pots and it worked really well. Will try to upload photo but think it might be turned around! My gardening skills are slightly better than my photography ones!

Telly Fri 10-May-19 16:56:43

Not decided what colour scheme but yes usually out by now will be fine in this part of the country. I nearly put the tomatoes out but it's been a bit windy so probably at the weekend.

shysal Fri 10-May-19 16:36:20

I planted up my 3-tier basket this afternoon because some mail order plants arrived. I am so disappointed with the planter. It is not man enough for the job! When filled with compost it leans and twists so I have had to tie it to the fence. Last year I bought a very cheap set at Wilkinson's which was rubbish so I thought paying twice the price would buy me a stronger one. sad And just to make matters worse I trod in some cat sh*t buried in the grass.!

SisterAct Thu 09-May-19 23:05:20

Thank you for the name. Shysal and travelsafar. I’ve only been getting interested in gardening in the last few years.

Coolgran65 Thu 09-May-19 22:15:47

I bought some nasturtium plants this week and have risked planting them out. Fingers crossed.

lemongrove Thu 09-May-19 21:44:06

Shysal thanks, the tiered planter looks great (I want one!)
Yes, grin the thread title does suggest low tog duvets, in fact I changed ours over during the hot spell a little while ago ( a Summer 2.5 tog) and have been cold this last week, so now added a throw which helps.Going to be warm again next week though.☀️

annodomini Thu 09-May-19 20:25:41

Mine will arrive at the end of the month. A local school's PTA sells bedding plants for funds every year. They are grown by a member and are always very good value.

travelsafar Thu 09-May-19 19:18:00

SisterAct i think they are called Nemesia.

grannyqueenie Thu 09-May-19 18:47:29

Ann grin Yes I think it’s a bit too cold here too for tender wee plants but I see them for sale everywhere I look. Mind you this week’s weather hasn’t made we champ at the bit to be doing anything in the garden!

annsixty Thu 09-May-19 18:39:38

I thought we were talking low tog duvets here.
A few weeks ago in Dunelm I swa some 3.5 tog and over Easter wished I had bought one.
Now I am pleased I didn't.
It is too cold here for summer bedding plants I think June will be early enough.

Sparklefizz Thu 09-May-19 18:27:29

Sounds gorgeous J52

J52 Thu 09-May-19 18:23:43

Seedlings all snug in the greenhouse. I will plant them out in the last week of May.
I’ve 15 pots of Begonias all sprouting merrily. Last year I bought an antique metal plant stand and intend to cover it in Begonias.