Gransnet forums

Gardening

What is eating all my pansies?

(14 Posts)
Witzend Thu 16-May-19 19:10:22

Greyduster, I once had a tortoise called Timmy who was very fond of pansies! But only the dead ones, oddly enough.

It won't be sparrows, rabbits or pheasants eating mine, so it's probably tiny snails. Always a load of the buggers here. Shall have to get the slug pellets out - I don't like using the non wildlife friendly ones, but I've tried others that sadly just don't work. I always knew from the slime trails that it was snails stripping my petunias and verbenas, but haven't seen any on the pansies, hence my wondering.

I will also re fill the snail trap with beer! It's snail shaped, and its 'horns' have broken off, but I don't suppose they'll turn down beer on that account.

DillytheGardener Wed 15-May-19 22:46:48

It’s me! Just kidding, but I have seen them on salads and cocktails recently and I never know if I should eat them or not. grin blame the wine wine

CanadianGran Wed 15-May-19 22:46:19

Deer here. I don't bother with pansies, hosta or roses in the front yard. They will just nip off the blossoms. Our back yard is safe since we have a 6' fence.

MiniMoon Wed 15-May-19 22:41:38

Ah, but OP said there is no slime trail. GG, you'd see evidence of snails, no matter how small.

Greyduster Wed 15-May-19 21:16:00

It is sparrows that have done for mine year after year. Add to that the indignities perpetrated upon them recently by a visiting tortoise named Quentin ?.

Gonegirl Wed 15-May-19 21:00:05

It's tiny little snails that do it.

Gonegirl Wed 15-May-19 20:59:37

scroll down a bit

MiniMoon Wed 15-May-19 20:37:13

Husband reckons that it will be a bird that is the culprit. He says pheasants like flowers. He also says snails won't touch them.

Feelingmyage55 Wed 15-May-19 20:09:04

Rabbits in my garden have eaten the yellow flowers but not the blue ones.

Vonners Wed 15-May-19 20:00:21

Sparrows enjoy the flowers too.

joannapiano Wed 15-May-19 16:41:36

My rabbit Poppy certainly enjoys nibbling pansy leaves and flowers.

Gonegirl Wed 15-May-19 16:05:54

Try aluminium sulphate slug pellets. Environmentally friendly. Won't harm birds or wildlife.

Gonegirl Wed 15-May-19 16:03:59

I think it's little snails. Has been with mine in the past.Caught 'em in the act.

Witzend Wed 15-May-19 15:56:47

It's just the flowers. Slugs? Woodlice? We always have a lot of these, and I don't notice slime trails on the plants.
Whatever it is, they seem to like some colours better than others. Yellow is a favourite, white is barely touched.