Gransnet forums

Gardening

Another identity question

(14 Posts)
Farmor15 Thu 16-May-19 23:25:06

Yes, I read about it being invasive but if it’s only a houseplant it won’t get a chance to escape! It’s satisfactory to find out a bit more about it having had it a few years.

jusnoneed Thu 16-May-19 18:08:13

Mystery solved.
It's very invasive according to Google so don't let it get out in the garden or you could curse it!

NanTheWiser Thu 16-May-19 16:46:16

Yes, Culag has got it!

Farmor15 Thu 16-May-19 13:31:09

Thanks Culag - I'm pretty sure it's Delairea odorata from the images I found online. Apparently it's also known as Cape ivy or German ivy.

jusnoneed Thu 16-May-19 11:19:57

The seed head makes me think of Clematis, my evergreen outdoor one has similar fluffy seeds. But the leaf isn't one I've seen on any.

Culag Thu 16-May-19 11:14:48

Apparently now called Delairea odorata!

Culag Thu 16-May-19 11:13:13

I think it's a variety of Senecio, see davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2696

Senecio mikainioides

Nandalot Thu 16-May-19 10:52:47

Sorry, on reflection, I have decided that the seeds heads were different. However, our hops did have a similar shaped leaf.

Nandalot Thu 16-May-19 10:48:23

Is it a type of hop? The leaves are similar and the seeds reminds me of when we first moved into our house and the rest of the road was being built on an old orchard and the trees were covered in hops with similar sorts of seed head. It is an amazingly fast grower.

Farmor15 Thu 16-May-19 10:14:54

Here's a photo of the flower cluster it produced, gone to seed. I took it fairly close-up - whole thing is only an inch or so across. It doesn't look anything like any of the images I found online for grape ivy, unfortunately.

I suppose I don't need to know what it's called - just enjoy it! It twines around fairy lights in a corner and has to be cut back every now and then as it festoons everything. Gives a nice jungly effect with no effort. Various other family members have it now and we even had to send back cuttings to Sweden as their's somehow got lost when they moved house.

grannyqueenie Wed 15-May-19 22:57:51

I thought grape ivy too

Farmor15 Wed 15-May-19 22:57:20

Thanks Esspee I googled Grape ivy and it might be that, but I don’t think so. But there are quite a lot of varieties so it may be one of the less common types.

Esspee Wed 15-May-19 21:24:09

IT could be grape ivy. Try googling it.

Farmor15 Wed 15-May-19 16:09:52

Anyone know what this is? It's an indoor climber, roots very easily from cuttings and climbs all over the place, twining around anything it can find. Leaves are a bit like ivy, but larger and very soft. I brought it as a cutting from dil's in Sweden, but she didn't know what it was called. It actually flowered a while ago - small yellow flowers which finally formed fluffy seeds, a bit like dandelion!

It grows fast, needs little water and does well in a shady corner of kitchen.