Gransnet forums

Gardening

Garden Spikes

(9 Posts)
Anniebach Sat 18-May-19 12:02:42

I have to move some shrubs in tubs from back garden to front, no water tap at front so can’t use hose pipe,

Looked on line and saw ‘water spikes ‘. anyone use these please ?

MiniMoon Sat 18-May-19 14:45:09

We've never used them here Annie, but they do sound like a good idea. I'm lucky, in that DH is a good gardener. He just bought a 100 ft long stainless steel hosepipe!

Namsnanny Sat 18-May-19 19:31:17

minimoon.....How do you store your hosepipe?

MiniMoon Sat 18-May-19 20:33:40

It's in a large storage box in the greenhouse at present. We do have a reel for it, waiting until DH is fit enough after his op to attach it to a wall. It doesn't tangle much at all.

shysal Sat 18-May-19 22:09:08

I have some of these but I now just use them for decoration. They work but are a bit of a faff to fill and don't hold much water. The type of spikes which attach to plastic bottles still have to be filled from the tap unless you have an irrigation system. Could you manage to carry a small watering can or empty plastic bottle filled indoors or from the back?
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Pcs-Glass-Globes-Plant-Watering-Automatic-Watering-Ball-Bulbs-for-Garden/202617206511?hash=item2f2ced36ef:g:HhUAAOSwHu9cgIO2

Anniebach Sat 18-May-19 22:18:03

Thank you , I have a hose pipe in the back garden but to use it in the front I have to bring it through the bathroom window , through the hall and out the front door, I am now thinking I will buy a water butt, my younger granddaughter will fill it and I can use a watering can , be easier as I have to use a walking stick

Chewbacca Sat 18-May-19 22:25:23

For tubs, raised beds and grow bags, I use a cheap and simple irrigation system: wash out a 2ltr plastic bottle (or bigger if you can get one). With a sharp knife or scissors, cut of the bottom end of the bottle. Unscrew the cap off the bottle and stick that end of the bottle in the soil. Just fill up the empty bottle with water and it will slowly release the water into the soil as needed. You won't need to refill every day, thus not having to lug heavy watering cans about too often.

Anniebach Sat 18-May-19 22:30:13

That sounds easier than a watering can Chewy, thank you

annodomini Sat 18-May-19 23:01:14

I have a reel for my hose, but have never worked out how to get the hose on to it! Fortunately, I can water most of the garden by standing in the middle and directing the jet where it's needed.