Gransnet forums

Gardening

Squirrels eating my roses

(10 Posts)
Ginny42 Mon 27-May-19 22:38:27

They've never done it before, but two squirrels are eating their way through my beautiful climbing roses! I couldn't believe it, so did a search and it seems it's a common problem, but it seems I need some wolf or coyote urine to deter them! Another site said spray with vinegar and put coffee grounds around the plant.

Has anyone had this problem and managed to repel them? They're cute, but I love my roses more.

cornergran Mon 27-May-19 23:03:22

Sorry Ginny, can’t help, I’ve had squirrels dig up bulbs and eat them but not the roses. We do currently have a very large pigeon munching its way through some clematis flowers, no idea why when there’s seed available close by. hmm].

lemongrove Mon 27-May-19 23:13:14

Well, this is a worrying scenario, as I have just planted two climbing roses and we have several squirrel visitors daily,
Eeeeeek!
Pigeons eat the primulas, but have never seen the squirrels go for anything other than seeds......But?
Have you googled this at all Ginny?

Anja Tue 28-May-19 06:44:39

Squirrels get very hungry at this time of year. Why not spend on some nuts etc for them rather than some nasty chemical deterrent?

Grammaretto Tue 28-May-19 06:56:48

Our roses aren't out yet but squirrels eat most things including the plastic lids of wheelie and compost bins so they can climb inside.
If you find a remedy do let us know.

Ginny42 Tue 28-May-19 07:02:49

Yes, Lemon that's where I got the information about predators' urine! I must pop to the zoo and get some. NOT! I wondered about a feeding station just beyond the garden on the edge of the wood, as long as the roses aren't dessert.

As far as I know it's not happened before. I saw the branches had been pulled right down and actually wondered whether an intruder had tried to get in that way. They had, but I meant the human kind.

M0nica Tue 28-May-19 08:15:27

As long as we have lived in our current house (over 20 years) the outstanding feature of our garden has been a magnificent huge hazel tree. In all that time we have never harvested a single nut, because the squirrels get there first, broken pierced hazel nuts and seedlings litter the garden.

In a months time the tree has to be cut down because it has died and branches are split and rotting. My heart is broken, but the one (very small) consolation was the knowledge that it would mean fewer squirrels. Now I am told they will eat all my lovely roses.sad

Ginny42 Tue 28-May-19 23:09:19

It's never happened before MOnica, which is why I'm so puzzled by it. I'm thinking of making a scarecrow as I just opened the door today and they ran. Must be the shock of seeing me.

David0205 Wed 29-May-19 08:34:38

A scarecrow is a good idea, one that moves regularly or they will get used to it.
A dog, our terrier is really keen chasing squirrels I’d put a kennel next to the rose.
Maybe an ultrasonic device, the type used to deter rats and mice
Animals (including humans) get all sorts of odd appetites for unusual things ultimately you might need to trap them and relocate them.

M0nica Wed 29-May-19 09:27:03

I quite inadvertantly have a cunning plan. About 20 years ago I found a walnut sprouting in a planter. I potted it, carefully nurtured it and then planted it in a far reach of my garden. It is now a tree 20 - 30 foot tall and has started to produce nuts. The squirrels will, hopefully skedaddle to the other end of the garden and break their teeth on the walnuts instead.