Gransnet forums

Gardening

Ideas for filling gaps

(5 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 28-May-19 20:06:38

I have finally removed the dying skimmias and now have 3 gaps in my established borders, which get lots of sun.

Any ideas for filling these?

I would quite like things that are evergreen - certainly hardy - and with flowers at some time of year. And scent?

I wondered about a rock rose for one of the gaps.

All ideas gratefully received.

crazyH Tue 28-May-19 20:17:58

Just the opposite here. I'm thinning out my borders....too many evergreen bushes. Too crowded. I am not very good at garden design, obviously, so I won't advise you on how to and what to fill the space. I'm sure get some knowledgeable ladies coming along soon .

lemongrove Tue 28-May-19 20:28:03

Choisya, evergreen, totally hardy and white scented flowers.
Grows quickly so will need trimming now and again.
Photinias, red robin, pink marble or pink crispy, all lovely and evergreen with red or pink new leaves.
Small conifers, or euonymus ( so many varieties) again very hardy and colourful.Rock roses, if in a sunny position.

MaizieD Tue 28-May-19 22:37:49

Hope your gaps are big if you go for choisya. I have two and they are rampant despite being cut back every year.

eHow about daphnes? Some are evergreen and have good scent. For winter scent sarcococca (also evergreen) are nice (and rather better behaved) Hebes come in all sizes and leaf colour, no scent but flower well. Mahonia? Scented flowers and berries later. (They can get big, though)

loopyloo Wed 29-May-19 08:52:56

A mahonia, for the bees in winter. A rose from the County group and some irises because they have been wonderful this year and need no pruning or spraying.