Gransnet forums

Gardening

clematis

(17 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 29-May-19 06:38:28

My clematis has finished flowering and is looking very unkempt.Is it now that i cut it back does anyone know.Ideally i would like to cut back almost to the ground as the stems are getting thick and almost woodlike. It has been in it's current place for about 5 years now so its quite large.

J52 Wed 29-May-19 06:55:53

It sounds like an early Montana variety. Does it have small pink or white flowers? If so you can prune it back now.
They do sprout from the lower stem.
Years ago we had a huge one growing through trees, the trees had to be pruned and the clematis cut to a few inches from the ground. Later that year it had sprouted up again, stronger than ever.

Flossieturner Wed 29-May-19 07:44:02

I believe in. The saying, ‘flowers before May cut straight away’. I have an early flowering one, not Montana and I did not cut it back last year. I have fewer flowers this year, so I will cut it back once it has finished.

nipsmum Wed 29-May-19 10:46:15

I have 2 clematis and they are both cut down after flowering. They get very little attention and come up year after year.

Millie22 Wed 29-May-19 11:18:18

Clematis montana flower in May so if it's finished flowering you could give it a haircut now.

Rosina Wed 29-May-19 11:27:41

I accidentally scythed our clematis off about 2" from the ground early one summer - the next year, as another poster has said, it was so full of flowers that I took some photos. It certainly didn't do it any harm, and a wise gardener told me that as long as you don't 'muck about' with the roots, most plants will flourish following a good trim.

annifrance Wed 29-May-19 11:34:32

After three years of nurturing I have at last got a clematis to thrive. the other day it was full of large pink blooms. Yesterday it was decimated by something, not slugs.

Any help/suggestions as to what this is and how to zap would be very welcome.

Shirls52000 Wed 29-May-19 11:56:20

As everyone else has said for an early flowering clematis like a Montana generally prune after flowering to remove dead or damaged growth any others it’s usually late Winter to early Spring

Notyetagran46 Wed 29-May-19 12:50:44

Annifrance. Sounds like clematis wilt but not sure what the treatment is, if any.

sweetpea Wed 29-May-19 12:56:30

When in doubt, try the RHS website, you don't need to be a member, just search for pruning etc (any type of plant) and you will get the experts' view. I don't mean to infer that GNs are not experts! ?

Juicylucy Wed 29-May-19 15:55:59

Google the variety you have as there is loads of different types and they all have different pruning times so best not to just use generic info incase it’s for wrong variety.

Hellsbelles Wed 29-May-19 16:25:53

Clematis are either group 1, 2, or 3 for pruning . As others have suggested take a look at the RHS website.

blondenana Wed 29-May-19 17:19:29

I have a Clematis Montana, and didn;t get round to pruning it last year, but it has bloomed full of flowers and very heavy, must do it this year
Also got 2 of the purple ones,[cant remember name] they have just flowered, but always look a bit weedy, not a lot of flowers and don;t grow very high

bikergran Wed 29-May-19 17:45:09

Arrn't they lovely when there in full early flush.

I have managed to find (wasn't looking) a Winter flowering Clematis. not planted it yet but will be interested to know how it thrives, in the cool North West Of Lancashire.

travelsafar Wed 29-May-19 18:05:10

thanks everyone i will get and there and give it a haircut.

Lisagran Thu 30-May-19 22:48:41

I always chop mine back quite hard, and they do well. They’re just starting to come out here smile

Resurgam123 Sun 07-Jul-19 23:28:23

I saw a Clematis Princess Diana today which had draped itself over a small fence. Very nice indeed.
I also have a Rouge Cardinal which is going really well right now. They are very greedy feeders
I do have to not get carried away by these lovely flowers.