Gransnet forums

Gardening

Bargains at Morrisons

(14 Posts)
blondenana Wed 29-May-19 19:02:53

Went to Dunhelm mill today with my daughter and partner. for new blind for kitchen, afterwards we deided to go to Morrisons, for odds and ends we needed,
I wanted some fish and salad, but didn;t realise that outside now they have a small garden centre
We couldnt believe the prices, so i bought myself a little dog planter made of straw or raffia or similiar, a small trre, for by the front door, a canary palm, and a passionflower climber, plus 2 sweet smelling carnations, all for £25
At our local garden centre they would have cost much more, posting pics, hope it works

phoenix Wed 29-May-19 19:06:19

We get quite a few of our summer bedding plants from Morrisons, and was very tempted by a wisteria there a few weeks ago.............

blondenana Thu 30-May-19 09:51:32

They had olive trees at £15, which i was tempted to buy , all the plants were very reasonable
Unfortunately i don;t drive and Morrisons is right on the outskirts, so have to wait until i can get a lift
I really want to go back now, but it is fatal for me to go to a garden centre, i usually spend more than i intend to, but they didn;t really have many bedding plants, and my garden needs some colour
I love the little dog, it was only £5, bought my daughter one too

srn63 Thu 30-May-19 11:12:22

I bought some bedding plants from my local Morrisons very cheap and are doing so much better than the ones from Thompson and Morgan of which I am still waiting for part of my order 4 weeks after placing it!

glammanana Thu 30-May-19 11:35:17

We have a smallish area outside our Morrisons which displays bedding plants and other garden stuff
Last year we bought an Olive Tree for £14 and it has come on lovely this year we saw one similar in a garden centre for £25 so we got a bargain,this past week we have bought all the trailing plants for the baskets from Morrisons enough for 3 hanging baskets all for £9.00.
I love the little dog by the way so cute.

blondenana Thu 30-May-19 17:17:15

glammanana that is what we have, just a small area, more lkie a large greenhouse to look at, maybe you live where i live lol. i wonder if all Morrisons have them
The olive trees were £15 reduced from £25, but quite a good size,i was just disap[pointed they didn;t have many bedding plants
A friend of mine bought one a fewb years ago from a well known garden centre here and it cost her a fortune, ib comparison
I couldn;t resist the little dog, but i think i might put it in the back garden, in case someone takes a fancy to it,

Fernbergien Thu 30-May-19 17:30:15

Last year in Morrisons bought fushias for 1.99 each. Look heathy this year so hope to have more flowers.

Nandalot Thu 30-May-19 17:50:32

Yes, the plants this year have at Morrisons have been really good. I am starting a hosta bed and got six for how much two would have cost me at the garden centre. Overestimated the bedding plants needed because they were so tempting and unfortunately their lovely pots have all sold out,
Had to go again today as their compost is 2 for £4. DH is very impressed with its quality and it’s organic and recycled garden waste, not peat.

BlueBelle Thu 30-May-19 20:01:10

B and M and Wilco all do well priced plants I ve never bought from a garden centre

lemongrove Thu 30-May-19 22:44:53

I am very envious of all who have a Morrisons, I would have to drive 20+ miles to the nearest one.

KatyK Fri 31-May-19 16:00:46

We bought an olive tree from Lidl for £9.99.

blondenana Fri 31-May-19 16:23:08

Even better KatyK there are some bargains around if we look, but i am waiting for my daughter to let me know when we can go to Morrisons again, it will have to be when her partner can take us, in his van,, my daughter only has a 2 seater Mazda, which is lovely but not for this kind of shopping

3dognight Fri 31-May-19 16:39:14

Lemongrove - my morrisons is just two minutes away walking. Good for me as I don't drive, well tbh it's a godsend. Yes the plants this year at our morrisons have been very good, also inexpensive. They also come in a clear seedtray so you can see if they are root bound or not.

arthursfam Fri 31-May-19 16:47:09

A couple of weeks ago our Morrisons had a whole shelf of plants that had lost their labels costing £1. I only bought one and it is thriving although not identifiable ( ? Spelling ) yet

A few days later they had all gone I wish I had bought a couple more