Gransnet forums

Gardening

Hardy shrubs

(14 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 02-Jun-19 09:08:39

The previous tenant divided my garden into large squares,
one lawn, one patio, three of chippings .

I would like to have shrubs in pots on one section of chippings but it is exposed to winds, it’s next to a wooden fence with gaps. Difficult to explain

Suggestions most welcome

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 02-Jun-19 09:11:44

Some roses can be grown in pots, Annie, like 'Ballerina'. What about box? I'm sure others will have great ideas.

janeainsworth Sun 02-Jun-19 09:29:35

I have a camellia that has done well in a pot for at least the last 15 years.
Remember that you need as big a size of pot as you can, to give the shrub room to grow and so you’re not constantly watering them.
I visited the show gardens at David Austin Roses a few years ago and they had lots of roses in pots, but the pots were enormous. If you like roses have a look at their website, it has lots of advice about which varieties are the most suitable.
I have pots of spring bulbs too and when the bulbs have died down I put summer bedding in, so the pots have something in them most of the year.

cornergran Sun 02-Jun-19 09:38:20

We’ve got several roses in pots and quite large tubs including a patio standard rose for height, no problem at all. Also two rhododendrons and a fairly large camelia are thriving in tubs. Two tubs of bamboo rustle in the wind and are very hardy. It’s very windy here and they are all doing well. We also have some acers which have been in pots for over 10 years and are very happy although they do need a more sheltered spot. Enjoy the planning and outcome annie, good to make the garden yours.

Alima Sun 02-Jun-19 09:45:34

How about grasses? There are some lovely ones about, I have one with tall, variegated leaves, looks great in a pot on a newly chipped area we have. Have also recently put a salvia hot lips in a pot on there. I coveted one my neighbour has though hers is in the ground. Supposed to be perennial, will get back to you on that! Also agapanthus love to be contained. Sorry, just realised you are asking for shrubs!

Liaise Thu 06-Jun-19 07:35:51

We have three pittosporum 'Irene Patterson' in our garden. They are a beautiful silver/green colour and as they are evergreen look superb in winter. You could try them in pots. They can be trimmed in the shape you like. Also Bay and Portuguese laurel look good in pots.

MiniMoon Thu 06-Jun-19 09:24:00

We've got pots planted with dwarf conifers and heather ?like mini rock gardens which are sitting on our gravel. DH also bought some very large pots and has planted small plum trees in them.
We've also got gerberas and hydrangeas in pots.

Fennel Thu 06-Jun-19 09:27:54

I would think that evergreens would survive best. Is there a garden centre near you? Even if you don't go yourself they might have a website to browse on.
There's a lot of problems with box currently - some destructive moth/grub. Spread here from the continent.

dragonfly46 Thu 06-Jun-19 09:33:23

I have hostas, roses, agapanthus, yucca and cordylines in pots.

Scribbles Thu 06-Jun-19 09:57:25

I think there are dwarf varieties of Pieris which offers constant co!our variety throughout the year. There's also Choisya with its lovely, almost luminous, pale yellowy leaves and scented flowers in the spring.
Don't forget lavender which often does very well in tubs and bees love it.

A good place to find inspiration might be the Find A Plant section of the RHS website. See www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Search-Form

Labaik Thu 06-Jun-19 10:00:38

Assuming that you still have a dog, if it's like mine and snaps at any vegetation it walks past, make sure whatever you plant isn't poisonous. All of my favourite plants seem to be poisonous, and I've had to resort to the dreaded Petunias. I do have a flowerpot full of Bacopa which flowers throughout the summer and remains green in winter [always thought it was an annual...]. Nandina [Heavenly Bamboo] is evergreen and the leaves change to different colours but, again it's poisonous...

Grammaretto Thu 06-Jun-19 10:07:51

I have a rowan tree in a pot. The pot is actually a dustbin, so it's big. It was supposed to be a temporary place but the tree does well.
How about a honeysuckle to grow up your gappy fence?

Anniebach Thu 06-Jun-19 10:09:52

Such help and advice, you are great . Instead of playing
Killer Suduko I shall spend hours looking on the internet at
all that as been suggested and when next year I win the Councils award for best garden ? it will be because of you all x

Squiffy Thu 06-Jun-19 10:41:31

Hebes are evergreen and have either purple or white flowers. They grow to different heights, some remain small while others grow to five feet.

Rosemary is very tolerant and can grow to several feet. You have the advantage of using the leaves in cooking.

Both are attractive to bees.