Gransnet forums

Gardening

Tree has split

(6 Posts)
Nandalot Thu 13-Jun-19 16:49:11

Over the weekend our damson tree split down the fork. It has left an open scar down the front of the trunk. There may be some rot where the fork was though the rest of the exposed wood looks healthy. Once we have fully detached the half of the tree should we treat the exposed part f the trunk? I suppose there is about a foot and a half going down by about six inches across. (Very rough estimate from memory as I am not going out in rain to measure!). Any advice would be appreciated.

midgey Thu 13-Jun-19 19:11:48

I think you can leave it safely alone. Maybe you should plant a new one in the autumn, though I have had a lot of trouble trying buy one!

Fennel Thu 13-Jun-19 19:31:11

What a beautiful tree! And neat garden.
I didn't know damson trees could grow to that size, maybe it had outgrown its strength.
Maybe you should ask an expert, but I would say that if you want to keep the remaining part you should paint the wound with some special sealant. Can't remember the name. Brown sticky stuff.
In this warm damp weather some kind of fungus/mould is likely to invade.

aggie Thu 13-Jun-19 19:47:39

on a recent gardening programme the advice was not to paint it with stuff , that seems to seal in bacteria , not keep it out , I would seek advice from a tree surgeon

janeainsworth Thu 13-Jun-19 21:35:55

I would also say leave it.
I have an acacia tree in my front garden & after some very strong winds, the main trunk snapped. I googled what to do and the answer was nothing!
To my surprise it just carried on growing & the next spring was a mass of blossom.

Nandalot Sat 15-Jun-19 11:21:32

We are going to leave it. Have got someone to cut it from standing trunk. He has angled the cut so water will run off. Fingers crossed. Thanks for advice.